When driving your 427 S/C Cobra....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When driving your 427 S/C Cobra....

...watch out for wet leaves? ('Dunno if that's what caused this, but something sure ruined somebody's day):

Move along, folks...just another day in paradise! BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

That'll buff right out. But...they better make sure they replace the battery hold down with a correct one or the SDC Police will be on their arse!
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

That will be expense...If the driver survived.
      Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Notice its a true Cobra , not a repop. That's got to hurt!
        Randy Wilkin
        1946 M5 Streetrod
        Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

Originally posted by rodnutrandy View Post
          Notice its a true Cobra , not a repop. That's got to hurt!
          Well...let me be the first to really run this thread off the road!

Is there another car produced that has been replicated more than the Cobra? Really...I am a car nut, but kinda narrowly focused through the years to Studebaker. Even among the various years and models of Studebakers, I am sometimes amazed, embarrassed, and amused at how ignorant I can be after all the exposure I have had to them. But the Cobra, what I perceive as so few ever made, and how many I have seen recently...makes me wonder.

Just this month, I went to a cruise-in where I think there were four or five. I admired them all, but did not spend a lot of time around them for fear of encountering the owner and possibly insulting him by asking if it was a real one. I also wonder if so many of the kit built ones has affected the true marketable value of the name?
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Can't see any wet leaves on that road...

Comment

With a cobra you don't need leaves just an injudicious application of throttle.

Yes, it is the most replicated I am certain, but it does not seem to affect the value.

And if its a real one its not totaled.....and cannot ever be since its cheaper to rebuild than its value even if all you have is a genuine number plate.
              Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                Well...let me be the first to really run this thread off the road!

Is there another car produced that has been replicated more than the Cobra? Really...I am a car nut, but kinda narrowly focused through the years to Studebaker. Even among the various years and models of Studebakers, I am sometimes amazed, embarrassed, and amused at how ignorant I can be after all the exposure I have had to them. But the Cobra, what I perceive as so few ever made, and how many I have seen recently...makes me wonder.

Just this month, I went to a cruise-in where I think there were four or five. I admired them all, but did not spend a lot of time around them for fear of encountering the owner and possibly insulting him by asking if it was a real one. I also wonder if so many of the kit built ones has affected the true marketable value of the name?
                Repoping cars? How about the 1932 Ford Five window Coupe? Voted most popular in the United States as the Gotta have it Hot Rod! And the price for an all steel car whether original Henry Ford, or re popped steel bodies can cost as much as a 3 month European vacation.
                Patrick Sammon

Comment

The problem with Cobras is that they're fantastic straight-line machines, but because they look and feel the way they do people want to take the twisties in 'em... a practice not recommended by 4 out of 5 doctors. It's way too easy to get sideways in a hurry.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by effiedude View Post
                    Repoping cars? How about the 1932 Ford Five window Coupe? Voted most popular in the United States as the Gotta have it Hot Rod! And the price for an all steel car whether original Henry Ford, or re popped steel bodies can cost as much as a 3 month European vacation.
                    YOu may have a point about the 32 ford, but I suppose it may depend on how you count it. Does it count as a 32 ford if you use half the body? It also would interesting to see how many T's have been built as fiverglass hot rods.

Comment

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
                      The problem with Cobras is that they're fantastic straight-line machines, but because they look and feel the way they do people want to take the twisties in 'em... a practice not recommended by 4 out of 5 doctors. It's way too easy to get sideways in a hurry.
                      Cobra replicas often show up at our SCCA autocross events. Usually I used to beat them with my little Miata, but one fellow showed up with a particularly good one which was running a 427 ci small block ford. He had it set up to turn as well as accelerate and when coming off a corner it would lift the inside front wheel like a sprint car. He beat my time by 2 seconds (that is an eternity in autocross). Of course he was not in my class in any case. His car was beautiful too and painted in traditional USA racing blue with big white stripes.

Comment

Posted by jclary

Just this month, I went to a cruise-in where I think there were four or five. I admired them all, but did not spend a lot of time around them for fear of encountering the owner and possibly insulting him by asking if it was a real one.
                        John

I wouldn't embarrass myself by asking, just lean on it. If you leave a dent, It's real.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                          John

I wouldn't embarrass myself by asking, just lean on it. If you leave a dent, It's real.

Bob
                          Not necessarily...many replicas have aluminum bodies as do some of the of the official Shelby continuation cars (aluminum bodies are a very expensive option).
                          63 Avanti R1 2788
                          1914 Stutz Bearcat
                          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Perhaps I should clarify my earlier remarks. I meant for a limited edition of its genuine offering...and the replicas made to look like the original. The repro Rod bodies are targeted to look like "Rod Bodies." I do recall being tempted to buy one of the Shay Model-A replicas once. I was also offered a drop dead gorgeous '53 Vette replica years ago. Outward, easy to mistake for an original...under the hood...V8, and ready to roll. Wish I had bought both. Although, there have been numerous attempts to replicate the Model-A, Vette, early Jags, etc...I don't recall seeing as many of those as much as the Cobra.
                            John Clary
                            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Shelby, Car and Driver, and Keith Martins magazine all claim the Cobra to be the most replicated. I think it probably is in North American purchases, but I wonder about the Lotus 7 replicas and continuations if you consider the rest of the world. There have been over 80 companies so far building/ selling them. I want both, ha !

Comment

Working...
                              X