Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best replacement 6v Pos Ground voltage regulator.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Best replacement 6v Pos Ground voltage regulator.

Before I change out my third S.I. voltage regulator (V8 Delco), any chance I could find a better regulator? They usually quit after a hard run of the starter but I'm putting in a ground cable from battery to starter bolt that will hopefully prevent anymore surges. I took my latest discard apart and it resembles a poor cloning of the Delco one in the Shop Manual. The points at the cutout relay were not parallel, not even close. The only real adjustments are by bending with pliers and moving a spring steel guide up the armature. The Delco in the Manual looks a lot more righteous. Would a tractor supply carry a 6V Delco? Does it have to be positive ground or can I wire it to work? Any of our vendors supply a new one or properly set up rebuilt? Thanks in advance. I have garages on either side of me, but to make sure it's done right, I have to try it myself... with a little help from my friends.
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Use a "Delco" nos one. If you can't find one close, I have a couple, I am not going to use.

Comment

I bought my most recent one from Studebakers West in Redwood City, CA. It was NOS Delco still sealed in the box/can and competitively priced.

It's also helpful to see what other marques used the same part. A Delco regulator from a 50 Chevrolet should be the same thing.

Sometimes a used one from a parts car will work better and last longer than an imported poorly made new one.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Dave, I purchase a new pos. ground Delco type regulator from NAPA last week for my '52 Commander. It is in an Echlin box. Says it is made in the USA and looks just like a Delco but has no Delco name on it anywhere. They had to order it from a Virginia warehouse, which took 5 working days to Nebraska. Cost was $69.00 + $10.00 shipping. Works good so far. there are now regulators on the market that work on both pos. or neg. ground systems, but I am skeptical.
        Frank van Doorn
        Omaha, Ne.
        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
        1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
        1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

I'll go looking but if Flashback has an N.O.S. my next question is: how fast can you ship? Do you have a PayPal account? I'll pay for UPS and the nasty border charges to get one here quick.

Comment

BTW, the mechanical voltage regulators - the kind we use that have points in them, but no transistors - do not care about polarity. Neither do the generators.

Polarity is selected when the battery is installed and the generator is polarized.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Great info, Roy. I'll remember you when I'm at the side of the road. "Radio Roy said". I hear StudeRich's voice, too, when I'm racking my brain..in a hurry

Comment

Originally posted by warrlaw1 View Post
                I'll go looking but if Flashback has an N.O.S. my next question is: how fast can you ship? Do you have a PayPal account? I'll pay for UPS and the nasty border charges to get one here quick.
                I will get one out tomorrow and pm you. Yes I will accept paypal.

Comment

A good alternator shop should have one called a cut out relay. They are commonly used on tractors they either charge or do not charge so you get full output of the generator or none so it charges up the battery then shuts off.
                  If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
                  64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                  61 V8 Tcab
                  63 Tcab 20R powered
                  55 Commander Wagon
                  54 Champion Wagon
                  46 Gibson Model A
                  50 JD MC
                  45 Agricat
                  67 Triumph T100
                  66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

Dave....I may have at least one good used one you can have....even for backup.
                    Bill Foy
                    1000 Islands, Ontario
                    1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

I'm in Bill. I can Paypal you and you can have it couriered to me...I may have it charging for the week-end. I want Flashback's NOS, too. PM sent.

Comment

StudebakerKid, it is the cut out relay that goes on these regulators. Stops the gennie from charging the battery. On a Delco you can service the points on the cut out relay. On the clones, it's guess work. Cheers.

Comment

Well I bought a 48" ground cable but all they had was 4 gauge. It would do in a pinch, but as I was at the marina getting my outboard fixed I asked the service guy and out he comes with a six foot piece of "0"!! I won't put a new regulator on there until I have that starter grounded. By then Flashback or Cap'n Billy will have me a regulator. Hope you both received my PMs. Plodding along to happiness in all directions.

Comment

P M returned

Comment

And what's wrong with Paul's Parts?

6V battery cables are still available at Tractor Supply and other tractor dealers. My ground goes to the starter motor too.

Comment

Working...
                              X