Avanti (1974) Ross steering shaft seal needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Avanti (1974) Ross steering shaft seal needed

I installed the Ross box on my 74 today and filled it with 80/90 lube as Dan Booth recommended.

It has had the lower shaft (Sector??) seal replaced. However it immediately started leaking past the upper (Steering??) shaft seal.

I talked to Dan Booth - Nostalgic Motors about getting one and he said he's never seen one leak and doesn't (never had) them anyway. He said he thought they could be the same as the Studebaker Avanti 63/64 but not sure. I've looked at most of our suppliers that have websites and cannot find anything that would seem like it will work nor any Jeep suppliers either.

So I either need a source from the assemblage or let the box operate below the level of the seal which it will anyway.

The box was essentially dry when I got the car and I could see it was leaking past the lower seal which is new and not leaking now. I may to try shimming the current seal if there is no other answer.

The seal in it's mounting plate.

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1016.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	1739048 Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1017.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	1739049

As always, thanks in advance.

Bob

I ran into this exact problem a couple of years ago. Here's how I solved it:

You will need to slightly enlarge the bore of the seal plate for this to fit.

Comment

It maybe a crazy question but are Ross still around ? If so may be they have some left over from manufacture or atleast could advise you where they were sourced from.
      pb

Comment

Originally posted by adamderosa View Post
        I ran into this exact problem a couple of years ago. Here's how I solved it:

You will need to slightly enlarge the bore of the seal plate for this to fit.
        Adam

Thanks for your post. When I get in these situations, one of the first places I go is Bob's site. I actually saw your fix and for some reason, old age probably, I kept seeing sector shaft not steering. My problem as your writeup is quite clear about what it is.

I'll get the seal and, luckily, I have a lathe so it's a small matter to open up the clearance.

Thanks again for the heads up and the posting on Bob's site. I'll try to do a better job of reading comprehension in the future.

Bob

Comment

Working...
        X