Picking A 1963 Color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picking A 1963 Color

The GT has been in the paint & body shop about three weeks now, and will be ready for paint in another 2-3 weeks. The painter advised me to hold off as long as possible to buy the paint, because many folks change their minds about color. That was good advice, and I'm glad I took it. However, as the time draws nearer, I still cannot choose a color. To make it even more difficult, the car has red interior, so trying to stay with a 1963 color that will match the interior only leaves a few choices: white, silver, black, champagne, rose mist, regal red, and super red. Further, I must also please the wife.

So far, this is what the wife & I are thinking: white is too plain; OEM silver looks like a stainless steel refrigerator; black is too hot and shows dirt easily; the wife doesn't like rose mist or champagne; regal red is the color of our other GT; super red was the last color on this car, and we'd like something different.

The wife would prefer a gunmetal gray poly, as her last 63GT was painted by a PO during the 1970s. But I'd prefer to go with a 1963 Stude color. I am soo confused, and time for a decision is drawing near.

Anyone have any suggestions?

How about Avanti grey? at least it's a 63 color!
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

With the interior done, you ARE pretty constrained. Personally, I like the white or silver and red combination, but I get the ho-humness. Basically, it sounds like the two of you are going to have to decide the least unfavorable exterior color choice you end up choosing. Cut the cards? Flip a coin?

One of our local 62 (I know not 63) GT owners went with a mild pearl white he noticed on another car in his painter's garage. It looks nice, I thought; it isn't a 63 Studebaker color, but it is a mild tweak you can apply to a Stude color.

Comment

IMHO GT Hawks looks best dressed in Black. It shows off the stainless the best of all colours.

Allen
        1964 GT Hawk
        PSMCDR 2014
        Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
        PSMCDR 2013
        Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

well, if it "has" to be '63 color, and given the red interior, i'd probably also go with black.
          Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Ya then you're both happy.
            Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
            How about Avanti grey? at least it's a 63 color!
            Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I say let her decide. I'm sure you will live with whatever she picks. Happy Wife = Happy Life.
              Pat Dilling
              Olivehurst, CA
              Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

I am quite surprised that Wifie does not like the Champaign Gold, but may I suggest the '64 Golden Sand Metallic, it is lighter, more Beige and Silver, less Gold, a very sharp color that most people would not notice is not a '63 Color unless a Champaign Gold one parks next to you!
                Last edited by StudeRich; 06-22-2013, 02:08 PM.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Super Red is so rare on a '63, you wouldn't choose that route again?
                  Bill Pressler
                  Kent, OH
                  (formerly Greenville, PA)
                  Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                  Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                  1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                  1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                  All are in Australia now

Comment

I have a '63 Hawk with the same red interior and I intend to eventually paint it the Avanti red metallic of that year. I think it will be dark enough to make the stainless and chrome stand out and not be as flashy as the standard red. I hope you paint it Avanti red metallic so that I can decide if it is a good choice for my car or not.
                    sigpic
                    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Joe, just for you to see, here is what a gray one that lives here in town looks like. Sorry, don't know the year. I personally am kinda gaudy, love those bright or two tone colors, ha !
                      Attached Files

Comment

It's a '63, of course lowered with Salt Flat Wheels does give it a even more different look.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
                          I have a '63 Hawk with the same red interior and I intend to eventually paint it the Avanti red metallic of that year. I think it will be dark enough to make the stainless and chrome stand out and not be as flashy as the standard red. I hope you paint it Avanti red metallic so that I can decide if it is a good choice for my car or not.
                          There's another option for you, you wanted 1963 Studebaker colors, you have Avanti and truck colors available then!

Comment

Just for reference...

Click image for larger version

Name:	1963StudePaint.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	1680435

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

We just got our Lark back from the paint shop and the super red looks unbelievable

Comment

Working...
                              X