Specialty Books from TurningWheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Specialty Books from TurningWheels

To have a book on a specific model of Studebaker covering all data and reprinting all information from TW pertaining to that model would be a great thing. Let's look at what would be involved in this project.
    FIRST, research all years of TW and find all the articles that you would want to see reprinted.
    Reprinting the text would be no problem; photos would be a horse of a different color.
    Copying the existing photos would end in POOR results. Finding the original photos used would be almost impossible so new photos would be needed.
    Therefore, SECOND, research for photos. Imagine how long this might take.
    THIRD, get reprint permission from Fred Fox who owns the copyright to most of the articles you would want to use. Or pay him royalties.
    FOURTH (if you get this far), print the books. Maybe one on 1931 models, another on Hawks (or on GT Hawks only), one on 1959 to 1966 Larks, and so on.
    FIFTH, try to sell more than 5 or 7 of each book for a reasonable price.
    I would love to see something like this but you can see the problems involved. And there may be more I haven't thought of yet.

Art Unger - TW

I'd love to have a book that focused solely on Transtar Trucks![][8D][^]

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar
    3E-6/7-122
    </h5>

Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander

Comment

I'd love to have a book that focused solely on Transtar Trucks![][8D][^]

<h5>Mark
      '57 Transtar
      3E-6/7-122
      </h5>

Mark Hayden
      '66 Commander

Comment

Art,

How is TW transmitted to Good Printers? Is it possible that Chester still has an electronic file for prior issues (I realize only to a certain point)?

Gary

Comment

Art,

How is TW transmitted to Good Printers? Is it possible that Chester still has an electronic file for prior issues (I realize only to a certain point)?

Gary

Comment

quote:Originally posted by monomaniac
            That's the point. We all clamor for them, but if they were printed, "then we would know where to get one" .

(we are a cheapskate lot [^])

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

That's the point. We all clamor for them, but if they were printed, "then we would know where to get one" .

(we are a cheapskate lot [^])

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Art, what if you didn't "print" them at all? The industry I work in does a lot of e-books. Instead of paper, everything is produced as a high-resolution Adobe Acrobat PDF file. Distribution is simple, via secure server, e-mail or CD-ROM, so no money is spent on paper, printing, and binding; no stocking space is needed either. If the buyer wants it printed and bound, he can do it at Kinko's. And if there's no printing or stocking expense, you can sell them at a lower price and do better volume.

Just a thought...

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Art, what if you didn't "print" them at all? The industry I work in does a lot of e-books. Instead of paper, everything is produced as a high-resolution Adobe Acrobat PDF file. Distribution is simple, via secure server, e-mail or CD-ROM, so no money is spent on paper, printing, and binding; no stocking space is needed either. If the buyer wants it printed and bound, he can do it at Kinko's. And if there's no printing or stocking expense, you can sell them at a lower price and do better volume.

Just a thought...

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                  '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Art, I think you are under estimating the demand for the books. I'd bet a 56-64 Hawk book, a 59-66 Lark book etc. would sell several 100 to 1000 copies each.

JDP/Maryland
                    64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
                    64 GT R2
                    63 Lark 2 door
                    58 Scotsman
                    52 & 53 Starliner
                    51 Commander
                    39 Coupe express
                    39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Art, I think you are under estimating the demand for the books. I'd bet a 56-64 Hawk book, a 59-66 Lark book etc. would sell several 100 to 1000 copies each.

JDP/Maryland
                      64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
                      64 GT R2
                      63 Lark 2 door
                      58 Scotsman
                      52 & 53 Starliner
                      51 Commander
                      39 Coupe express
                      39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

I would love to see something like this but you can see the problems involved. And there may be more I haven't thought of yet.

Art Unger - TW
                        A SIXTH problem I see is all the new information that has come to light since the articles were published 10, 20, or more years ago. Due to our limited knowledge back then, the early reprints will be incomplete and perhaps inaccurate. Much research has been done in that time, studying production orders, etc., and finding out about cars and trucks were indeed built in different colors, engine/transmission combinations etc. contrary to factory literature. I know Fred, and others have extensively used sales brochures, manuals, et al, but someone has without fail proved the factory literature wrong. The 'Recaps' section are a testament to this. Much editing would have to be done to the older articles to ensure accuracy.

Craig

Comment

Art Unger - TW
                          A SIXTH problem I see is all the new information that has come to light since the articles were published 10, 20, or more years ago. Due to our limited knowledge back then, the early reprints will be incomplete and perhaps inaccurate. Much research has been done in that time, studying production orders, etc., and finding out about cars and trucks were indeed built in different colors, engine/transmission combinations etc. contrary to factory literature. I know Fred, and others have extensively used sales brochures, manuals, et al, but someone has without fail proved the factory literature wrong. The 'Recaps' section are a testament to this. Much editing would have to be done to the older articles to ensure accuracy.

Craig

Comment

Sounds like more work for Fred, who should financially benefit from the publications, even if each amounted to a fifteen or twenty page glossy pamphlet.

Brad Johnson
                            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
                            Brad Johnson,
                            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Sounds like more work for Fred, who should financially benefit from the publications, even if each amounted to a fifteen or twenty page glossy pamphlet.

Brad Johnson
                              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
                              Brad Johnson,
                              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                              X