Replacing '53 Commander C/K bench seat w/buckets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: Replacing '53 Commander C/K bench seat w/buckets

I'm thinking seriously about replacing the front bench seat in my '53 Commander Starliner with some bucket seats. Since I'm staying with 6 volts, I can't use any power seats.
    I'm looking for some ideas about what fits easily and looks and feels right.
    Thanks.
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
    '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

I good friend of mine installed buckets out of a 63 GT Hawk in a 1954 Commander coupe along with the center console. You would need all of the seat and console mounting hardware from a GT hawk to make the changes. The Hawk seats looked really nice in the in the 54. Bud

Comment

Does your wife know. The womens like those bench seats. Or as a wise man once said, his cup holder had a poodle skirt.
      Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Unless you want modern highbacks I second the GT Hawk idea.
        You can even use the rear seat and have it all match!
        (and be rid of that rather odd Jetsons looking rear seat arm rest)

Comment

1964-1968 Thunderbird bucket seats...
          Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
          1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Originally posted by brngarage View Post
            I'm thinking seriously about replacing the front bench seat in my '53 Commander Starliner with some bucket seats. Since I'm staying with 6 volts, I can't use any power seats.
            I'm looking for some ideas about what fits easily and looks and feels right.
            Thanks.
            I have a pair of from a 63 Hawk in my 53. They just bolt in if you usre the center floor plate. I will try to post pictues. If you was close buy I would make you a deal on these with the plate. They have just been upholstered. Any body need a set with gray cloth upholstery and the transition piece to go with them $200.00

Comment

After what we have been going through the last 2 mos. I would suggest a seat with a headrest.

Comment

I have a set of 61 hawk bucket seats which I think are bigger than GT seats. They are cores. There is a 61 on ebay right now so you can get a sense of their size by the partial picture in the ebay listing. Pm me if you are interested.
                ed ellis

sigpic

the "SUPER COUPE"

Comment

Two questions:

1. How tall is the primary driver?
                  2. Do you want semi-stock or full modified?

For tall drivers, the C/K doesn't have sufficient travel and the back is too upright. Getting the seat down and back completely changes the feel of a C/K. The inner ear is what tells us WIGO and moving that location makes the car feel different and to me better.

If you're looking for the best seats for the money, hope you get lucky and find a Saab in the U-Pick. They have wonderful heated leather power seats for cheap.

jack vines
                  PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                  X