Finally: 1964 Daytona Family Album

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally: 1964 Daytona Family Album

Finally got the "new" Wagonaire presentable and extracted the hardtop from its winter storage corner in the Morton Building (background) to get all four 1964 Daytonas lined up for a family photo on the front lawn:

This collection represents 38 years of acquisitions, beginning with the hardtop in September 1977.

An increasingly-large radius from central Indiana became necessary for the acquisitions.
    Here are the years, places of acquisition, and approximate round trip miles for each:

Hardtop: 1977, 50 miles (Coatesville IN; thanks to my wife for spotting it for sale on a side street.)

Sedan: 2002, 640 miles (Troy MI; thanks to former owner Earle Haley, his son George, and our mutual friend Sam Roberts.)

Convertible: 2007, 1,290 miles (Richmond VA; thanks to Leonard Shepherd Jr.)

Wagonaire: 2013, 2,020 miles (Eddy TX; thanks to Finland SDCer Pekka Polvinen.)

None of the cars are "restored" and probably never will be during my term of ownership. But all will be stored in the safe, tight 2001-built Morton Building to the right in the photos, kept operable, and gradually upgraded as time and money allow. I would replace any of them with a better example, but wouldn't offer any for sale until the better one was actually on location...and it would have to be South-Bend built and factory Astra White, of course, as are all of these cars:

For the trivia-minded, the hardtop was built as (and still is) a 289/4-speed. All the others are 180 HP 259s with column-shift Flightomatic. All were built with single exhaust, including the factory 4-barrel hardtop(!), but only the convertible has a single pipe today. The others had duals installed along the way before I bought them:

The varying shades of "Astra White" may be attributed to two of the cars having been completely repainted, the sedan and Wagonaire. The hardtop is 100% original paint and the convertible is about 60% original paint. (The Production Orders for all cars verify they were built Astra White, however, no "cheating" by painting a car Astra White just to have all four 1964 Daytona models in the same color!)

Education continues: As I was photographing the cars, a fellow that does remodeling and lives catty-corner to us (grey Ford pickup in the far background) came home from work. His young helper (in his 20s) hopped out of the truck and shouted across the street, not intending to offend, "Gee, that has to be about a fourth of all the Ramblers in Indiana, isn't it?"

Yes, he now knows what they are! BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 03-13-2015, 03:09 PM. Reason: added credits and thanks
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Nice pictures Bob and a very nice collection ( of Ramblers <g> )Would and should be a story in TWs
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Hands down the sweetest line up of white `64 Ramblers ...oops, Studebakers presented on this forum. The house even suits the cars. Very cool, congrats. Cheers, Junior
      sigpic
      1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Looks like a total white out. Iv'e had 4 64 Daytona's. 3. Hard tops. Astra White 259, Jet Green 289, And Strato Blue R2. 1. Convertible. Bordeaux Red R1. Loved them all. Darn IPad keeps changing spelling

Denny L

Comment

Very nice looking collection Bob! The '64's are just THE BEST!
          The very FIRST thing I would do is move the Bumper Guards from the '66 Model location to the '64 location on Leonard's X Convertible.
          It also appears that the Sedan may have the rears one bolt too far inboard as well.

I sold a '64 Daytona Hardtop (one of 5) that had the rear Guards in the farthest Outboard bumper bolt holes, and that looked as bad or worse than yours does, I could not stand it!

Unfortunately as I am sure you know, that might be a problem because of the damage the unprotected edges have done to the bumpers, but you won't know if it will polish out and look Ok until they are removed.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Good show, Bob... uh... Cool beans!!!!!!!!!!!!
            sigpic
            Dave Lester

Comment

Beautiful collection Bob!
              Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Bob, forgot to inquire....your favorite is??? Interior colors are? Looks like the 'aire has a blue interior (yum yum) but I'd have to go for the hardtop simply 'cause of the drivetrain. Cheers, Junior.
                sigpic
                1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Interesting thread you have here, BP. Do you have the production orders for each car? If so, would you care to share more details of each?
                  I have an Astra white '64 hardtop myself with blue benchseat vinyl & cloth interior. I have long considered painting it an OEM blue but may keep it Astra just so that I can proclaim that it looks like Bob Palma's car.
                  sigpic
                  In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Awesome Collection and thanks for sharing!

Comment

Wow.....now THATS cool!
                      David Daoust
                      Stratham, NH
                      '64 Daytona convertible

Comment

Beautiful. I tried to save that rear view for my screen saver but it's too small
                        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                        Romans 15:13
                        Deuteronomy 31:6
                        Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Bob,
                          Thanks for sharing your 4 treasures with all of us on the Forum. I found 1964 an exciting & stimulating year.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
                          MELBOURNE.

Comment

VERY NICE-------I bet these make you smile every time you walk in the Morton Building. Thanks for sharing
                            Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                            1961 Hawk 4-speed
                            1967 Avanti
                            1961 Lark 2 door
                            1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Bob,

A similar shot on a clear, sunny January day with a fresh 2 - 3 inches of snow on the ground would be blinding!! Nice collection and congratulations.

Bish
                              sigpic"Somewhere West of Newport Center"
                              1956 2E12 O/D SOLD!
                              1959 4E2 4spd, TT
                              1963 8E28 GSA order
                              1963 8E5 SOLD!
                              1963 Lark Daytona Wagonaire 289,O/D, TT

Comment

Working...
                              X