Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calgary - Drive Your Stude's To High Ground!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calgary - Drive Your Stude's To High Ground!

Man-O-Man....
    Calgary is getting hammered with flooding right now.
    I have some family living there.
    Hope everyone is safe!
    Jeff

The RCMP say three bodies have been found in the fast moving waters in Alberta as the province experiences the worst flooding in decades.

The City of Calgary has ordered an evacuation its entire downtown core -- an area where approximately 230,000 people work on a typical Friday.
    Officials don't expect to have to relocate that many residents, however, as the majority of people didn't show up for work.
    A large number of Calgary's neighbourhoods have already been evacuated due to rising floodwaters, which began spreading across the city on Thursday evening. An estimated 75,000 Calgarians have already been ordered to evacuate.

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/calgary...#ixzz2WsuL6K9X
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

My brother lives there as well. He in the downtown area, off the Bow River. He posted a link on his Facebook page about the river rising
    1964 GT Hawk
    PSMCDR 2014
    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
    PSMCDR 2013
    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

'Dang! Hope everyone had sufficient notice to hook up the batteries in their Amphicars!

Seriously; take care, all. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

So far, so good in my part of town, but man have we got hammered with the rain. No way no how am I going down to the rivers though. Our smallest river (Elbow River) during our last major flood (or so we thought) in 2005 the river peaked at about 225 cubic meters per minute (or maybe seconds, can`t recall) flow rate compared to today`s rate of 650 cubic meters. My daughters have both been called into work at their evening serving jobs to serve disaster relief victims. My youngest one was sent home from work (bank teller) because the police are so busy responding to the flood that the bank felt that the employees were at risk. So many people have lost so much, but so far only two suspected lives lost, which is simply amazing considering the water temp and speed. Thanks for your well wishes, hope the worst has past, now bridge integrity needs to be assured and the massive clean up started when the water recedes. Regards from Calgary.
        sigpic
        1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Is there any chance that Craig (8E45E) is in danger?

Check in buddy.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            Is there any chance that Craig (8E45E) is in danger?

Check in buddy.
            Thanks for your concern, Rich. Yes, Im in fine shape here as I don t live on the floodplain. Our downtown area is on a floodplain, and they have been advising onlookers to stay away from the area for obvious reasons. From what I have heard so far, one or two of our Foothills Chapter members live in one of the lower lying neighborhoods which were evacuated as a precaution, but received little, if any property damage, including their Studebakers. Ill definitely find out more next week.

Craig

Comment

My 1964 Daytona has resided in its cozy condo parking spot since the NW overdrive meet in Lethbridge .. Far from dt area and not in any danger .
              But the amount of devastation the floods have forked out is amazing .. Lots of damage .. I just cant imagine how the stampede is going to happen in 2 weeks time ..
              Love my Lark

Comment

The Saddle Dome (home of the Calgary Flames) is flooded up to row 10! Yikes.

Terry

Comment

jet289...how is Fernie fairing? Ran into an old colleague last night in the pub, he had just returned from a golf trip in Whitefish MT and said parts of the road, as in half the river side lane of the highway was eroded away and there were waterfalls to drive through on the mountain side of the road in the Crowsnest. He had been in the sauce a little bit, so I'm not sure how much is truth. Good to hear you're ok..., Craig P too, but I knew his district is on high ground.
                  sigpic
                  1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

'Good to hear all our Studebaker friends are safe. BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
                    X