complete engines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• complete engines

I am looking for a Studebaker V8 and auto transmission to put in a 1929 Dictator. I have all the original parts for car.

Well, should be a monster. Glad you're keeping it Studebaker. Curious about your front suspension, what are you using for a frame? You have many choices: 232, 224, 259, 289, 289 R1, 289 R2. Early cars used Borg Warner 3 band transmission, later used flight-o-matic. Using a Dana 44 rear end? Early cars had a hanger bearing, later straight one piece drive shaft. The Lark/Avanti wheel base was shorter that the coupes/hawks. Welcome to Monomania!
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Using same frame, but putting new Jakes front with disk brakes.

Comment

Like to go with the 289 range, still trying to figure that out.

Comment

Originally posted by Record View Post
          I am looking for a Studebaker V8 and auto transmission to put in a 1929 Dictator. I have all the original parts for car.
          You wanting an engine ready to install or one to overhaul?

Ted

Comment

I have a nice 232 bored over making abou t240 ci. It has an R1 cam, an offenhouser aluminum manifold with a two two adapter on top, chrome valve covers, alternator and oil filter housing. It has a chevy adapter and a turbo 350 automatica attached with a floor shifter. Its all togehter running with complete ignition starter etc. It has about 7000 miles on it. I was going to put it in my CE but have decided to go another way. When I bought it he had it on a stand and started and ran it for me. It showed 85 psi oil pressure cold. I'll sell it as it sits or with any of the stuff taken off from the tranny to the carbs and manifold. If you 'd rather a four barrell I have an even bore that can be put on in place of the two two setup.

It should make adequate power, get good fuel economy and make delicious noises with the R1 cam.

I also have a very nice used 259 full flow that looks very very clean and has not hardly any wear that could be combined with the stuff on the above engine to make a very nice one. I have measured the bore with my machinists tool (line bore indicator I believe it is called) and all bores are within spec to use without boring.
            Last edited by t walgamuth; 06-22-2013, 03:50 PM.
            Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

All the Stude V8s used basically the same block: similar weight, similar mounts. Lots of regular 289's available...with parts cars. R1 (Avanti power) was available in larks, hawks, too. Harder to pry loose from Stude guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Record View Post
                Like to go with the 289 range, still trying to figure that out.
                Bruce has had this one on the forum for a while but it has a 4-speed. You may want to talk to him about an automatic if that is what you want.

He's planning on going to the IM in Colorado next month so it might be a good time to get it hauled back.

Bob

Comment

Studebaker V8s tend to be wider than SBCs, Ford Windsors and just about any other V8 out there. You might want to measure your engine bay width, might have to run hoodless. Would be nice to keep the drive train "in the family" though....

Comment

Yes sir ready to install.

Comment

That R1 engine Bob mentioned looks like a real good set up. I doubt you could build it for that....or pry it loose for that

Comment

Years ago At Hershey there was a late 20,s Commander or President with a Studebaker V-8 , If I remember correctly It fit very well , Ed

Comment

I believe this was a 29 in Sacramento in 2003.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tue001a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	1680422Click image for larger version

Name:	tue002a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	1680423
                          1936 Dictator
                          1950 Champion Regal 4 dr parts car
                          1953 Commander Regal HT
                          1953 2R5 Pickup
                          1947 M16 Truck
                          1960 Lark VIII Convertible
                          1960 Champ 5E7 step side short box
                          1962 Champ 7E5 no box
                          1962 GT Hawk
                          1963 Lark VI 4 dr
                          1963 GT Hawk R2
                          1964 Daytona Convertible
                          1964 Commander Wagonaire

“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” ~ Abraham Lincoln​

Comment

That looks nice!
                            Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
                              I have a nice 232 bored over making abou t240 ci. It has an R1 cam, an offenhouser aluminum manifold with a two two adapter on top, chrome valve covers, alternator and oil filter housing. It has a chevy adapter and a turbo 350 automatica attached with a floor shifter. Its all togehter running with complete ignition starter etc. It has about 7000 miles on it. I was going to put it in my CE but have decided to go another way. When I bought it he had it on a stand and started and ran it for me. It showed 85 psi oil pressure cold. I'll sell it as it sits or with any of the stuff taken off from the tranny to the carbs and manifold. If you 'd rather a four barrell I have an even bore that can be put on in place of the two two setup.

It should make adequate power, get good fuel economy and make delicious noises with the R1 cam.

I also have a very nice used 259 full flow that looks very very clean and has not hardly any wear that could be combined with the stuff on the above engine to make a very nice one.
                              How much did you want for that 232 you mentioned? Minus the trans. You could PM if prefered.

Comment

Working...
                              X