Production Order Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Production Order Question

I finally saved up enough money to purchase the Production Order from the Studebaker National Museum for my 1950 Commander 4-door sedan and was disappointed by how little information was on it.
    I was pleased to find the Final Assembly Date and the Date to Ship. I also noted it went by rail from South Bend to #12 Pueblo, Colo. There was no information under Other Special Features although I know the car has a Hill Holder, bumper guards, cigar lighter, etc. I am guessing these items may have been added by the dealer.
    Here are my questions:
    Model and Body Type listed as (17A 25 COLT) I cannot find a definition for 25 COLT.
    Trim No. listed as (7569 GT CL-3) I cannot find a definition for this.

One other question I have is the destination, listed as Pueblo, Colorado, but the car was supposedly purchased new from a dealership in Salem, Oregon. I am not sure how to explain this apparent disconnect other than the possibility the information I received from the seller was incorrect.

Can anyone here help with these questions?
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

The 25 COLT is just a Factory to Dealer code for a Car basically equipped as yours, nothing to help you with today. Remember they used Western Union Teletype messages that cost by the word, so codes were used to shorten the messages when ordering Cars.

The "Shipper" form that the SNM has some of, would give better destination info, this could have been a Dealer Trade or a factory re-direct after production.
    Of course there is always the possibility that the Salem OR sale was not to the first owner, but the second. Or like you say, just WRONG.

I do not have the 1950 Trim Code breakdown, but the Interior code has to include the Color, is it Green Tweed = GT?
    Last edited by StudeRich; 06-20-2013, 11:17 AM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

StudeRich,
      Thanks. This is a little bit of help. I know the car has the Regal Deluxe trim package so maybe the code here refers to that.
      As for the color, the PO has the following under Paint Symbol and Color - P2268 AQUA. The color chart that I found says the color is "Brush Green". I am wondering if GT = Green Tweed is the original interior color?
      Ed Sallia
      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
        StudeRich,
        Thanks. This is a little bit of help. I know the car has the Regal Deluxe trim package so maybe the code here refers to that.
        As for the color, the PO has the following under Paint Symbol and Color - P2268 AQUA. The color chart that I found says the color is "Brush Green". I am wondering if GT = Green Tweed is the original interior color?
        Regal Deluxe is not a "trim package", it is a model. If your car is a W3 body code, it is a Deluxe model. If it is a W5 body code, it is a Regal Deluxe model.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
          Regal Deluxe is not a "trim package", it is a model. If your car is a W3 body code, it is a Deluxe model. If it is a W5 body code, it is a Regal Deluxe model.
          This information is not on the PO so I will have to find the body code on the car.
          Ed Sallia
          Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
            This information is not on the PO so I will have to find the body code on the car.
            You will find it on the body number plate located on the right (passenger) side of the car on the engine side of the firewall/cowl.

EDIT: I find it hard to believe that the build sheet does not include W3 or W5 on it. Please recheck or post it.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
              You will find it on the body number plate located on the right (passenger) side of the car on the engine side of the firewall/cowl.

EDIT: I find it hard to believe that the build sheet does not include W3 or W5 on it. Please recheck or post it.
              Here is the PO.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1950 Commander Production Order.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	1680403
              Ed Sallia
              Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Those code words actually contained quite a bit of information. Each model, body style, and transmission equipment had its own word. In 1950 a 'Colt' was a Regal Deluxe Commander 4 door (W-5) with overdrive.
                I don't have much information about the 1950 sales codes, so I don't know what the trim code is telling us. I don't think there was really color choices back then. I can say the material used was nylon, and it had a brand name of Candelon which may be what 'CL' stands for.
                Brush Green is not a name I recognize as a Studebaker color. They did have a Grove Green. It's sort of olive looking.
                Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Wow those Old Production Orders prior to 1960 that are on microfiche, especially those that are on the even Older Forms have VERY little detail for sure. An Oil Bath Air Cleaner and a Free Wheeling Overdrive, that's IT!

No Climitizer Heat & Defrost? Of course I know it could have been Dealer installed also if it has one.
                  Sometimes bare Cars like this were ordered to be "price leaders" to get you in the Door and to compete with usually lower priced comparable to Commander models like; Mercury, Dodge and Pontiac.

I do not think Aqua P-2268 is Brush Green, it would be a light Green and as you know Aqua is a Blue Green.
                  Last edited by StudeRich; 06-20-2013, 12:41 PM.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks for posting the build sheet. That one really doesn't contain a lot.
                    As Dwain said, "Colt" tells you that it is a Regal Deluxe. Also, the W5 (indicating Commander Regal Deluxe four door sedan) should be on the body plate.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Okay. All of this was most helpful. The car does have the Climatizer heater and defrost. It does NOT have a clock or radio. The car was repainted and I was told it was a very close match to the original color so Aqua sounds right. Here is picture of the car for reference:

Name:	P1010517.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	1680404 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010500.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	1680406 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010512.jpg
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	1680405
                      Ed Sallia
                      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

There is an error in the p.o. you received from the museum. Not all that unusual since information is transferred from the microfilm (not microfiche) onto paper then retyped. In the process mistakes are made. On the p.o. where it says "Model and Body Type" it shows 17A 25 COLT that should read 17A W5 Colt. Therefore the body tag on the firewall will read 17A W5 6567. As has been mentioned the COLT is the telegraph code for the Commander Regal Deluxe 4 door sedan for 6 passengers with the overdrive transmission. This car carried a list of $1890 with $93.00 extra for the overdrive. This placed it near the top of the line with only the convertible at $2180 and Land Cruiser at $2045 being more expensive. The standard upholstery on this model was Woolen Oxford cloth. It was black and gray with a yellow stripe. You mention that you are disappointed at how little is on the p.o. Assuming that everything else is accurate and correct on the p.o. it should represent exactly how the car was equipped when it came off the assembly line so not much anyone can do about that! As for the destination there is no way of telling where it was actually sold unless you have the bill of sale. Pueblo was obviously the first choice but it may have been diverted. Someone mentioned that the shippers copy of the p.o. would tell the ultimate destination however shippers copies are not available from the museum for cars built before 1960. By the way the Aqua Green was a much darker green than that shown in your photos, they are not really close. Can send color chip if needed.
                        Richard Quinn
                        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Studebaker Wheel,
                          Thanks for this additional information. I am slowly getting a clearer picture. I would love to receive a color chip if you have one to spare.
                          I will check my firewall again and see how close it is to the new paint job. If the care came from the factory painted Aqua and that does not match the current paint color then I guess I have some more research to do.
                          I appreciate your input.
                          Ed Sallia
                          Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                            There is an error in the p.o. you received from the museum. Not all that unusual since information is transferred from the microfilm (not microfiche) onto paper then retyped. In the process mistakes are made. On the p.o. where it says "Model and Body Type" it shows 17A 25 COLT that should read 17A W5 Colt. Therefore the body tag on the firewall will read 17A W5 6567.
                            That makes sense because the "W" key is adjacent to the "2" key on the keyboard.
                            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Name:	50 color chips.jpg
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	1680407
                              Here the color chip chart showing the Aqua Green. Yes, I know these are subject to some distortion as a result of scanner interpretation etc. but the screen colors I am seeing look to be very close to what I am viewing on the actual chart. There is nothing wrong with the color on your car...looks fine to me. Just thought you might want to see what the Aqua Green looked like originally. No doubt you will be able to find the original color in some unexposed part of the car if you look carefully.
                              Richard Quinn
                              Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Working...
                              X