Graveyard question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graveyard question

I was looking at a bunch of pictures taken in the Studebaker graveyard. One car really caught my eye. It looks like it could have been a prototype '53 four door with a two piece rear window. I know most of those old prototypes are beyond help, but this two tone green sedan got my attention. Anyone know anythimg about it? I saw tje pictures on photobucket and I think Chris Dresbach took them.

Originally posted by Lark1959 View Post
    I was looking at a bunch of pictures taken in the Studebaker graveyard. One car really caught my eye. It looks like it could have been a prototype '53 four door with a two piece rear window. I know most of those old prototypes are beyond help, but this two tone green sedan got my attention. Anyone know anything about it? I saw the pictures on photobucket and I think Chris Dresbach took them.
    That it was, Craig.

(And if I might do a little editing, it would be appropriate to remove the words most of from your inquiry! ) BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks Bob. I breaks my heart that so much history rotted away in those woods. I guess that sedan is pro ably a lot worse than it looks. Im glad it was photographed at least.

Comment

Is this also the air conditioned sedan prototype model? Does any documentation exist about the a/c prototype sedan and are there any pictures of it from back in the day (1953-1954)?

Comment

Originally posted by Lark1959 View Post
          Thanks Bob. I breaks my heart that so much history rotted away in those woods. I guess that sedan is probably a lot worse than it looks. I'm glad it was photographed at least.
          True, Craig; they all are. Those bodies have no chassis or frames under them. Because of that, they were set down right on that swampy soil some 60 years ago to endure midwest winters and climate changes. I've been there twice for several hours each time, about 23 years ago. I'm sure they haven't gotten any better in the interim!

You can use your imagination from there. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Its teat sad. That four door would have made a real head turner. It and that turquoise starlight coupe. I wonder if smy styling dept. photos exist?

Comment

If some one did restore one of them he would be in trouble for modifying a Studebaker.

Comment

Maybe, but getting it out of the woods and "raising the dead" would be z story worth telling!

Comment

Remember trips there in the late 1970's.
                  Most if not all were rather "toasty" even then.
                  sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                  Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                  "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

I forgot to ask, what is the "sand car" i've heard about? I know it was in the graveyard too.

Comment

It is worth noting that over the years, a few(very FEW) vehicles have left the graveyard. I know there's a '53 prototype with a prototype hole in it's roof, a buncha Model N parts, and one restored Woody Wagon at the SNM floating around.....

But yes, he who manages to get whatever's left out of there these days, will have a real challenge on their hands of putting some of those prototypes back together, as there's some real husks sitting in there.
                      1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                      1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                      1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                      1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

The sand car can be seen in the Studebaker movie "desert destiny" which shows the land cruiser and truck built for Aramco oil in 49 and 50.
                        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I found a picture of the sand car. That one dhouldnt have been scrapped.

Comment

There are a lot of '53-'54 type cars out there, that body style pretty much dominates along with '47-'52s. I have tons of photos from that hallowed ground...
                            The "sand car" was actually called a "Desert Explorer" by Studebaker. The pilot model featured in "Desert Destiny" was a '49 Desert Explorer and I'm not really sure what happened to that car. The DE that currently resides in the Graveyard is believed to be the 1950 DE shown in the last few seconds of the Desert Destiny film.
                            I've got more stuff from out there than any sane person probably should. Obviously the biggest from out there is my '53 prototype C body. I also have all the Model N sheet metal parts; I have a Model N door in my bedroom closet just because I can. One of the '53 sedans out there had experimental AC hooked up to it that had unique air intake vents through the rear fenders; I have those vents. I also have a block of wood from the '47 Woody before it got restored and it's an unusual piece because it has a piece of square stainless steel running through the middle of it. And there are other artifacts I have squirreled away...

I figured that while I'm still young and crazy, I might as well do something epic in my lifetime. Come hell or high water, I'm going to fix and drive that '53 prototype some day.
                            Chris Dresbach

Comment

Is this the car you're talking about? It's also the experimental AC car.
                              Chris Dresbach

Comment

Working...
                              X