'61 Hawk paint info--data plate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '61 Hawk paint info--data plate?

Hey guy's, Just bought the 4th Hawk ( #0585) I have owned over the years , ( regret selling one every time) --decent body and drive-line but previous owner stripped all exterior trim and took it to a chrome shop somewhere, then passed away-- this was at least 10 years ago--I found it sitting in a building on four flat tires in primer a week ago--so, I need some help since '61 quarter-trim is all by itself--pretty well need everything ( taillight's and fin trim above, headlight bezels, grill and lower grill's, hood insert and fender and door trim) Any help will be appreciated---Brewster in Kansas City area (913) 208-Five- 8 - 4 - 4
    Attached Files

The stainless trim on the rear quarters - THAT'S gonna be the challenge! The rest of it shouldn't be that bad to round up.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

You might give Matthew B. a call, he's here on the forum. He does stainless restoration, but has a lot of trim in his pocession.

Jim
      "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
      their Memorials!

Comment

Thanks guy's--Another thing- where does it tell me the paint code?-I think it was a black car in and out judging from inside trunk lid.

Comment

paint code should be on a paper sticker on the underside of the glove box
          Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
          1961 Hawk 4-speed
          1967 Avanti
          1961 Lark 2 door
          1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

That should be 'VELVET BLACK'.... Studebaker factory paint code....P-6110 (LOVE that original owner plaque!)

Comment

Welcome to SDC and to the SDC Forum!

The only way to get detailed, original information about the Car is to order the Production Order from the Studebaker National Museum. They need the Fee plus the Car Serial Number from the Plate on the drivers door hinge post which should be on the Title also.
              The "Owner's Plaque" number on the dash does not relate to anything really.

Here is their Website: http://www.studebakermuseum.org/

The Body Number Tag on the passenger side of the firewall under the hood will give you a clue that it MAY be a real '61 Hawk as it will say 61V-C6 over the sequential number of the BODY that was welded up on the body line, not the actual CAR build sequence.

The reason I say that is, after this many years we have seen all kinds of parts swaps on C & K Models of Studebakers like different year trim and parts changed, frame, engine, body swaps, you name it. That is because most of the annual changes Studebaker made to Coupes, Hardtops and Hawks along with other models also, are pretty much "bolt-on" and can and were done also by owners.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

You might almost be better off getting a rusted out parts car and taking what you then sell it to someone who wants the other stuff.

Comment

Contact Lee DeLaBarre in Ft. Wayne IN. He is not on the forum, but you should be able to find him easy enough.

Several years ago, I helped Lee accummulate 4 Hawks from a widow who got stuck with a pile of Studebaker parts and mediocre cars scattered around her small Illinois town, when her husband passed away. One of them was a 1961 Hawk that had most, if not all, the exterior stainless intact, as I recall.

The car wasn't worth restoring, but the trim -or even the whole car- may still be around Lee's place. BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks for your help--It is a real '61 --tag on firewall say's: 61V-C6 and # under say's 287 --- Data plate on driver's door site say's: 61V 3366

Comment

It's not a "data plate" in the sense of what current cars have. It's just a serial number. In this case it reveals the car is a '61 with a V eight engine. 3366 tells it's sequential place amongst ALL '61 V8 cars - Hawks and Larks. That's all there is to it. The other tag reveals again that it's a '61V8 car - with a coupe body (C) and Regal trim level (6). It was the 267th such 61V-C6 body tub that was welded up. But that does not mean it was the 267th Hawk built in '61.
                      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I think you mean 287th Hawk, not 267th!

Joe

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
                        It's not a "data plate" in the sense of what current cars have. It's just a serial number. In this case it reveals the car is a '61 with a V eight engine. 3366 tells it's sequential place amongst ALL '61 V8 cars - Hawks and Larks. That's all there is to it. The other tag reveals again that it's a '61V8 car - with a coupe body (C) and Regal trim level (6). It was the 267th such 61V-C6 body tub that was welded up. But that does not mean it was the 267th Hawk built in '61.
                        sigpic

1962 Daytona
                        1964 Cruiser
                        And a few others

Comment

Thanks to BobPalma for the lead on some '61 Hawk trim--Lee's family is putting me in touch with him and giving him my contact info--we'll see what happens later.

Comment

Also , I don't know who Matthew B is , in the forum--don't see his name on list --supposed to have a lot of trim and be the guy who repairs it.--Thanks to all.

Comment

Ive been hunting for the rear upper trims and finally thay came in today. My 61 was almost identical minus all the glass. if i had to do it again i would find another rotted out donor and throw on some chrome plastic rear upper trims, by the way the left and right are reversed angles.
                              USASTUDE

Comment

Working...
                              X