Tach for a 1959 Silver Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo / Tach / Gauges: Tach for a 1959 Silver Hawk

I am restoring a 59 Silver Hawk the car has the hole in the dash for the tach but that is all. My distributor is not the one used with a tach. What do the other stude owners do when they run into this?
    Thanks,
    Kevin

Hard to know what distributor you have, but IIRC, the tach should have a driver unit which goes between the distributor body and the distributor cap. It connects to the servo motor on the rear of the tach via a special three prong plug wiring harness.

This was all made by Stewart-Warner and used in several other applications. The tachometer face varies slightly and the one from the '55 Speedster would be 6 volt, so you'll need to be sure your're buying what you need.

Having said that, several of us have converted those old servo units to the more recent production S-W which doesn't require a sending unit of any kind. It's even possible to use an original face in front of the new tach. Not easy for some, not cheap for others, but if you're not doing a show restoration, that's the way I'd go.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

It's a bit odd that a '59 Silver Hawk would have a factory tach in the first place. I realize it could have been installed by the dealer, but about that 'open hole', are You sure that it isn't a clock that's missing? Or one of those blank 'dummy gauges' Stude used to fill the hole when a clock wasn't ordered?

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
        It's a bit odd that a '59 Silver Hawk would have a factory tach in the first place. I realize it could have been installed by the dealer, but about that 'open hole', are You sure that it isn't a clock that's missing? Or one of those blank 'dummy gauges' Stude used to fill the hole when a clock wasn't ordered?
        I have the clock. I don't know for sure if it actually had a tach. But the hole is there R.H. side of the speedometer. The clock was mounted over next to the vanity. I assumed it must of had a tach, but now that you mention the round filler they used in place of the clock I'll bet that was what was there. Did they only fill the clock hole with this? Thats no fun.... is it possible to find a tach to fit and match? jack, you mentioned one way to overcome this and I may very well consider this I'm one of those who likes all of the instrumentation.

Comment

I have installed a SunPro tach some of my Studies, bezel may have to be modified somewhat but they work fine, cost about $50.

34 Studebaker Street Rod (completed)
          55 Speedster (in work)
          63 Lark R2 (completed, 63K miles)
          64 Daytona CNV (completed, 63K miles)
          64 Avanti R2 (completed)
          85 Avanti(blackout trim, 10K miles)
          89 Avanti CNV (19K miles)

Comment

Working...
          X