Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lubrication of the steering gear, transmission, and rear axle - 47 Champion and 63 Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Lubrication of the steering gear, transmission, and rear axle - 47 Champion and 63 Avanti

Here is what I did for the Avanti
    Steering Gear - As per the manual SAE 90 GL1 gear oil as used in the little grey Ford tractors - got it at TSC on the US side in a 2 gallon jug
    Transmission - Ford Type F ATF
    Power steering - Ford Type F ATF
    Differential - Red line synthetic 75W90 and a limited slip clutch additive.

Plans for the 47 Champion
    Steering gear - Manual talks about a special lubricant per Ross gear - I am going to use John Deere corn head grease as I use in a lot of tractor steering gears
    Transmission with OD - I am thinking of using the SAE 90 GL 1 left from the Avanti steering gear or even 15W40 Rotella as 40 weight is an option
    Differential - manual talks about SAE 90 Hypoid gear lubricant - I plan to use 80W90 GL5 oil as that is probably what is the replacement for the original.

Make sense to all the gurus out there?

Thanks

Neil

Originally posted by avantibngrant View Post
    Here is what I did for the AvantiSteering Gear - As per the manual SAE 90 GL1 gear oil as used in the little grey Ford tractors - got it at TSC on the US side in a 2 gallon jugTransmission - Ford Type F ATFPower steering - Ford Type F ATFDifferential - Red line synthetic 75W90 and a limited slip clutch additive.Plans for the 47 ChampionSteering gear - Manual talks about a special lubricant per Ross gear - I am going to use John Deere corn head grease as I use in a lot of tractor steering gearsTransmission with OD - I am thinking of using the SAE 90 GL 1 left from the Avanti steering gear or even 15W40 Rotella as 40 weight is an option Differential - manual talks about SAE 90 Hypoid gear lubricant - I plan to use 80W90 GL5 oil as that is probably what is the replacement for the original.Make sense to all the gurus out there?Neil
    I have been using straight SAE 40 in the overdrive transmission on my '47 Champion for many years with complete satisfaction. It was recommended as the best substitute where SAE 90 was not available.
    Bill Jarvis

Comment

SAE 90 GL-1 is the correct transmission and OD lube for your car. Be sure you fill both the tranny and the OD! Hypoid oil is used in the differential. Any GL-5 should be good. Opinions seem mixed on the steering gear. SI sells a custom lube for that but it is expensive. I put grease in mine and it seems to be OK but I have not had it apart either. CV joint grease, gear lube, and home-brew mixes of oil and grease all seem to be out there. Your JD lube is probably as good as any of these.

Nathan

Comment

Confucious say: "enough of the wrong lube is better than none of the right stuff." I prefer using motor oil in the 3-speed+overdrive. They shift better and the OD is more reliable. Never use hypoid oil in the transmission.

I also favour semi-fluid CV joint grease, with lots of moly in it, for the Ross steering gears. Lubes, in general have become vastly better since the time our cars were manufactured.
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I did use non-detergent SAE-30 motor oil in my transmission before I found the GL-1. I can't say I saw any difference in performance but I don't have O/D.

Comment

Hi Gord. What viscosity of oil do you use - 30 or 40? I do have the GL 1 stuff I got for the Avanti, but if motor oil is better for the overdrive operation, I will use that.
            Regards

Neil

Comment

Working...
            X