R1 or R2 63 Hawk on the dealer lot???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R1 or R2 63 Hawk on the dealer lot???

I think I see something shiny on the lower right front fender of this 63 Hawk. Could it be R1 or R2 emblem???? Note that the car has the rectangular grille emblem instead of the round R1/R2 type.

I also see that.
    Why would anyone take a picture of their Studebaker & M-B dealership with an Oldsmobile and a 1956 Chevrolet out in front? It reminds me of 1960 when the local Mercury dealer was having a picture taken of the dealership for advertising purposes. The photographer came in and said that there was car parked out by the showroom. When the dealer found out that it was my 1956 Mercury Montclair hardtop, the dealer said that was okay. The dealership started selling 1956 Mercurys. That picture is still hanging in their dealership.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Right, Jeff; there is definitely an R1 or R2 emblem on that Hawk's front fender. You have to blow up the picture mighty big with the CTRL and + feature, but it's there.

An odd photo, to be sure. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Isn't it odd that all of the cars have wide whitewall tires? I thought new cars in '63 came with narrow whitewall tires.
        sigpic
        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

This photo has appeared at least once recently in the "Studes in Roadside Americana" thread. Nobody picked up on the Hawk badging, or anything else. Just admired the cool shot it is. It could be just a nice quality snapshot, not a professionally posed and shot picture.
          KURTRUK
          (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Dibs on the red Oldsmobile.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
              Isn't it odd that all of the cars have wide whitewall tires? I thought new cars in '63 came with narrow whitewall tires.
              Not really, Brent. I'd say the whitewall tire situation is in order on all cars so equipped.

Studebaker's 1963 whitewalls, like on the wagon closest to the camera, were often those goofy, 1962 and early 1963 whitewalls that went all the way to the wheel rim and only came out about an inch, with no black between the rim and the whitewall. So the wagon looks OK for a new car.

The 1959 Oldsmobile may just have tires on it that were a couple years old. After all, it is a used car at that point. Ditto the 1956 Chevy at the curb.

The Gran Turismo Hawk appears to have blackwall tires and maybe even custom wheels of some sort. Even blowing the picture up, I can't tell for sure as to wheel and tire fitment on the Hawk.

Overall, though; there's "no problem" with the whitewall tire sizes for what was obviously taken in the fall of 1962. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob, upon blowing up that photo, I believe the GT Hawk has whitewalls and the stock wheelcovers. Remember that the GT didn't have the wheelcovers with the band of white, like Larks and Cruisers did that year.

That car is a double for Jim Kistler's (Cortland, OH) former R2 GT. It was a TW back cover color photo, in a great fall scene, probably twenty years ago. It was a 4-speed and had black interior with white inserts...just gorgeous. I know, though, that his car was sold new at Lute's Automobiles in Hammond, IN and was bought new by a man named Rocco Loggiodice. Easy name to remember, it's so unusual.
                Bill Pressler
                Kent, OH
                (formerly Greenville, PA)
                Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                All are in Australia now

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                  Overall, though; there's "no problem" with the whitewall tire sizes for what was obviously taken in the fall of 1962.
                  When did those emblems first appear? I thought it was later in the year.

Craig

Comment

Good points, Bill and Craig. Different monitors I would suppose, Bill; the Hawk's wheels and tires look terribly dark on mine no matter how much I blow it up. Of course, as you say, the Hawk's wheel covers were darker overall than the Lark's in 1963 anyway.

Not that the emblems couldn't have been retrofitted, Craig, but you make a good point. And who knows how long the wagon had been in stock.

Agreed; the photo could indeed be spring 1963. BP

Comment

Does any body remember a black GT Hawk, red interior 62-3-4? that was featured on the front cover of T Wheels way back, possibly 80's? It was dubbed as "CHROME PLATED JIM". it was striking to say the least. Somewhat modified but I forgot the details as I am crotchety. Just wondering if it is still within the club? help if you know of/remember this car. cheers jimmijim
                      sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Originally posted by jimmijim8 View Post
                        Does any body remember a black GT Hawk, red interior 62-3-4? that was featured on the front cover of T Wheels way back, possibly 80's? It was dubbed as "CHROME PLATED JIM". it was striking to say the least. Somewhat modified but I forgot the details as I am crotchety. Just wondering if it is still within the club? help if you know of/remember this car. cheers jimmijim
                        That is/was Jim Packenham's car. Art did a write-up of it in the March, 1982 issue. I havn't seen the car for several years, though.

Craig

Comment

Thanks for the info Mr Craig. I figured my memory to be right up 'en-crochety. You have affirmed it. Maybe one of the yungens can figger up how to post a picture of it unless a chrochety one can do it. Be nice so as all could see the car. cheers jimmijim
                          sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Working...
                          X