Great deal on a '60 Lark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great deal on a '60 Lark

I saw this posted this morning. If you're a fan of the '60 Lark, this is a good deal for the money. This belongs to a member in our chapter, and it's a beautiful car. If I had the cash, I'd own it
    '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

I agree. My '60 four-door automatic, although not on the road for now, was never an embarrassment, held its own very well in traffic and on the interstate. In my opinion, a two-door, three-speed OD, with good suspension, and a well running 259 with only a 2bb carburetor needs nothing more. That combination has got to be one of the better balanced performing vehicles Studebaker ever offered.

If it were mine...here in the south...with that color...I would only want to add AC.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

a good deal ??? I don't see it. Just my opinion.

Comment

This is one if those cars where photos don't do it justice. The things you can't see are big deals, like the fact that it's got nearly perfect paint, or the utter lack of rust. I think there may have been Larks that rolled off the assembly line with more rust than this one. Still, I get that Larks aren't everyone's cup of tea. The one and only downside to this car, at least for me, is that it's not a hardtop. But you couldn't build one for the asking price, so to me thats a good deal, even if it's not a CASO good deal.

Comment

With a 3.31:1 axle and overdrive, those trophies are probably for fuel economy! Gee, what a nice cruiser. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

That is a beautiful car and you couldn't duplicate it for that money. The only thing I'd change is the floor mats. Ugly. Needs some custom embroidered carpet mats.

Comment

Great deal in my estimation! Personally, I'd prefer a 4-dr, but that doesn't detract one thing from this car. Oh - and I'm NOT a fan of black vehicles. I can appreciate their beauty, but not the work to keep them that way OR the fact that you can't touch one here in the summertime.
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                With a 3.31:1 axle and overdrive, those trophies are probably for fuel economy! Gee, what a nice cruiser. BP
                I was thinking the same thing Bob! Nice & quiet cruising down the freeway.
                59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                64 Zip Van
                66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Oh well......Another one I want, but can't afford.
                  "In the heart of Arkansas."
                  Searcy, Arkansas
                  1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                  1952 2R pickup

Comment

It is a nice car, but I think that he is over the top with the price unless he finds someone else that likes the customization that he did to the car.
                    What it would cost to build it has no bearing on its current market value.
                    Does it really have "leather" upholstery?
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I've been inside it. It's real leather, not vinyl or that pleather stuff. The guy selling it is about as upstanding as you can ask. He's our chapters treasurer in fact.

Comment

I love 60 Larks and they don't get enough respect. He's in a bad economy to get his money back, but you couldn't build it for that.
                        Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Very nice looking car. A gem to be sure of to drive. The Quincy Magoo mural might have to go though..

For the guys picking this apart, here is one you can buy and fix to your liking:
                          Last edited by SScopelli; 06-12-2013, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SScopelli View Post
                            Very nice looking car. A gem to be sure of to drive. The Quincy Magoo mural might have to go though..

For the guys picking this apart, here is one you can buy and fix to your liking:
                            ]
                            I don't see anyone "picking this apart". There are some observations, including mine and even yours about the mural, that emphasize my points that with customization, you have to find someone else with the same likes and build cost does not equal selling price. It is not that there is anything wrong with the car, it is just that it limits/restricts the market and therefore the potential selling price. An all out custom/modified will often bring more than a bone stock car, but something with just a few modifications will usually bring a little less than a completely stock car.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                              I don't see anyone "picking this apart". There are some observations, including mine and even yours about the mural, that emphasize my points that with customization, you have to find someone else with the same likes and build cost does not equal selling price. It is not that there is anything wrong with the car, it is just that it limits/restricts the market and therefore the potential selling price. An all out custom/modified will often bring more than a bone stock car, but something with just a few modifications will usually bring a little less than a completely stock car.
                              Point taken, but I still see it as tearing it apart or being negative..

Actually I'm a fan of Mr Magoo, I'm just surprised no one else notice the lovable but bungling character..
                              That car looks like it needs Sgt Joe Friday on it instead, because it is that Cool!

I'm in the end of a "Nut n Bolt" Resto of a 61 Convertible and 11K is cheap for a fixed up car like this.. Leather upholstery and top on my 61 alone is 7K!

Yes the market is tough and I would say marketing it on Craigslist is even tougher.. But I'd rather give the guy Kudos and positive energy than negative comments..

I, unlike the IRS, really mean it when I say, "I come in peace!"

Comment

Working...
                              X