"late" 7E7 rear brake wheel cylinders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: "late" 7E7 rear brake wheel cylinders

I have a '62 Champ 7E7. The serial number is after E717083 when changes were made to the Champ 7E7 and 7E5 rear brakes. I have Wagner Lockheed 1 1/8" bore FD-9178 rear wheel cylinders. The part number is 678406. The truck is a 1/2 ton. I have been badgered on the Studebaker Truck Forum by members who insist this setup doesn't exist because they can't find it in their beloved parts books. Firstly, can anyone out there verify that I am not making this up? Secondly, does anyone have a couple of these oddball wheel cylinders for sale? Please only respond if you can shed light on this issue. I am not interested in what you can't find in your particular parts book. Thank you.

Go back to STT and read my explanation of the book confusion.
    Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

sent you a pm
      Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
      1961 Hawk 4-speed
      1967 Avanti
      1961 Lark 2 door
      1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Thanks. I think I'm going to have get sleeves installed in the old cylinders. New ones seem to be impossible to find.

Comment

I can speak to your issue ....I had a "late production" 1962 Champ 1/2 ton T6. It leaked brake fluid from the left rear on purchase. I went to NAPA to buy kits and found them to be the 7/8th or whatever was in thier book for cylinders. Mine were 1-1/8th like yours...Dave T-Bow furnished me with the explanation: knowing that a new brake system was planned for 1963, Studebaker (not out of character in shaving costs) looked to the parts' inventory and found many 56-58 4WD truck brake cylinders and installed them in the late production year Champs. There was talk about towing enhancement...but really it was a way to save money on a poorly selling vehicle. I did find 2 NOS cylinders through Dave. Your search may prove fruitful, but given the rust possibilities, sleeving may be your best bet. GL

Comment

Originally posted by oldguy_46ca View Post
            I have a '62 Champ 7E7. The serial number is after E717083 when changes were made to the Champ 7E7 and 7E5 rear brakes. I have Wagner Lockheed 1 1/8" bore FD-9178 rear wheel cylinders. The part number is 678406. The truck is a 1/2 ton. I have been badgered on the Studebaker Truck Forum by members who insist this setup doesn't exist because they can't find it in their beloved parts books. Firstly, can anyone out there verify that I am not making this up? Secondly, does anyone have a couple of these oddball wheel cylinders for sale? Please only respond if you can shed light on this issue. I am not interested in what you can't find in your particular parts book. Thank you.
            By " badgered" I guess you mean that you had a bunch of guys trying to help you trying to find an obscure part, including myself. I didn't see anyone say they didn't believe you, only that one couldn't find it and another who had the updates to the parts books available. Lighten up!

Bish
            sigpic"Somewhere West of Newport Center"
            1956 2E12 O/D SOLD!
            1959 4E2 4spd, TT
            1963 8E28 GSA order
            1963 8E5 SOLD!
            1963 Lark Daytona Wagonaire 289,O/D, TT

Comment

A random thought...?

Originally posted by jackb View Post
              I can speak to your issue ....I had a "late production" 1962 Champ 1/2 ton T6. It leaked brake fluid from the left rear on purchase. I went to NAPA to buy kits and found them to be the 7/8th or whatever was in thier book for cylinders. Mine were 1-1/8th like yours...Dave T-Bow furnished me with the explanation: knowing that a new brake system was planned for 1963, Studebaker (not out of character in shaving costs) looked to the parts' inventory and found many 56-58 4WD truck brake cylinders and installed them in the late production year Champs. There was talk about towing enhancement...but really it was a way to save money on a poorly selling vehicle. I did find 2 NOS cylinders through Dave. Your search may prove fruitful, but given the rust possibilities, sleeving may be your best bet. GL
              I appreciate this may not be the most helpful, but if the above info is correct (and I'm certainly not questioning it), why could you not simply switch back to the earlier wheel cylinders - they obviously worked fine for the previous 6 1/2 years of production? They are relatively easy to get parts for as well.
              Mark Hayden
              '66 Commander

Comment

Working...
              X