windshield removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: windshield removal

Is there any instruction on how to remove windshield ang or back glass trim on my 57 Golden Hawk??
    Is there a rubber gasket around the windshield and thats what the trim goes iinto so I hav to remove the glass to rmove the
    trim. I really didn,t want to remove the glass to paint or seand on car???? Thanks Rick

You really need a shop manual, I am assuming you don't have one. That was one of the first things I bought when I started my current project. But, to answer your question: You have to remove the glass and trim together. Good luck

Comment

Sorry to "piggy back" on this thread, but a similar question; is the same situation (trim comes off and goes back on installed in the rubber gasket) true for a '50 Champion 2 door sedan?
      Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
      '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
      '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
      '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

I used a box knife and cut the rubber off of the inside. Wind shield and trim all comes out together. Of course you have to have new rubber.

Comment

Tech tips,specs and data on the home page has some info on this. Find Bob Johnstone site there and there is a copy of the shop manual instructions on removal and install of front and rear windows.
          Frank van Doorn
          Omaha, Ne.
          1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
          1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
          1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Yea I know I need the manuels cause this thiing is probably going to need everything but the shop manuels are 2-3 weeks away and I wanted to pull motor and trans for rebuild while I blast the body which is pretty much all there except the dck lis is rusted and would like to find another one if everyone can keep theere eyes and ears open I would appreciate it. I figure they are hard to come by. Thanks Rick just getting started

Comment

If you want to save the gasket you need to wedge a rope -cotton washline-around the entire windshield from the inside. This forces the gasket out to easily remove the windshield. Start at the top,have someone push from the inside carefully center & side to side. You also need to remove the windshield inner trim before you start. Rob in PA.

Comment

Thanks for the info Rob. It sounds pretty much like the tri-five I'm use to doing with the rope and rubber gasket. Just hope I dont break glass.

Comment

Hmmm. New windshield gasket, which you may need anyway, $60. New windshield $300.

I have tried taking out windshields without cutting the old hardened rubber and the old cement and dumdum along with the old, more brittle windshield. Yes, it can be done, but is it worth the risk?

Comment

Originally posted by 55s View Post
                    Hmmm. New windshield gasket, which you may need anyway, $60. New windshield $300.

I have tried taking out windshields without cutting the old hardened rubber and the old cement and dumdum along with the old, more brittle windshield. Yes, it can be done, but is it worth the risk?
                    I don't think it is worth the risk unless you are sure of the condition of your gasket. Environments in different parts of the country are better than others for aging rubber. At best...it is still risky to try to save a gasket compared to the price of the glass. Another thing the manual will do for you is give you instructions for your particular body style. Some years the glass is to be removed and installed from inside the car. I do believe most of the later Studebakers installed the glass from the outside.
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

The windshield and backlight in the 1953 and up models are removed by pushing out and installed from the outside in. These are done with the stainless trim already in the rubber. The earlier models are just the opposite; Installed from the inside out and the trim is inserted after the glass and seal are settled.
                      Brad Johnson,
                      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                      X