• Show
Clear All

• Looked at a Studebaker truck

I Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	1738907.
    I looked at this truck tonight. It is a 2R5-12. It is pretty straight and not real rusty. It has a champ 6 with a straight three speed. I think I might be getting the itch again..... It would be a nice addition to my fleet. The owner wasn't home, but it looks like it would run and drive. The serial number is R5 107795. What year would this be?
    1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

It sounds like a 53 Kurt.
    Rick
    Kingman, AZ

Comment

I looked it up. Its a 53. Now I have to decide if I should make an offer.......
      1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Kurt, just remember, a stock 2R-5 is going to have a 4:82 rear end. Without overdrive, you are going to be limited as far as cruising speed. Now, with overdrive, you can cruise with some level of comfort at 50-55. I should add one advantage of such a deep rear gear is around town the truck actually will feel pretty spunky. A deep gear in such a light vehicle will do that!
        Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
        \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

Yeah, I realize that. My 61 Champ is a 289 with 3.73, and it gets pretty busy above 55-60. I have an overdrive trans that should help with that. I am not really looking for a long distance highway cruiser here. I could use it around my farm, and short trips to town, to haul things etc. and not worry about scratching it up. I dont need it that is for sure, but it is so cute and very close to home.......
          1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Cool Truck!
            sigpic He's got the "car"...now if I can only get the Matchboxes back!

Comment

I thought this truck had sold.... Low and behold, I was out today and I spotted it again in the owners yard. I was able to look it over again and drive it. It is in decent shape. Runs OK. It has the stale gas smell and spits and sputters a bit, but it probably just needs tuned up and driven. Brakes are OK, but not great. Front wheel on the right side wants to grab. Oil pressure was good and no smoke. The body is pretty straight with very few dents and no serious rust. It drove straight and steered good. My question is.... What would be a good offer? They are asking $7500, which seems VERY high. I gave lots less for my Champ and it is in good "driver" condition.
              1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Very high indeed. I paid $3500 for mine with a re-built engine about 7 years ago. It looked much nicer than that one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SdudePU2.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	1683132
                Jon Stalnaker
                Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt View Post
                  I thought this truck had sold.... Low and behold, I was out today and I spotted it again in the owners yard. I was able to look it over again and drive it. It is in decent shape. Runs OK. It has the stale gas smell and spits and sputters a bit, but it probably just needs tuned up and driven. Brakes are OK, but not great. Front wheel on the right side wants to grab. Oil pressure was good and no smoke. The body is pretty straight with very few dents and no serious rust. It drove straight and steered good. My question is.... What would be a good offer? They are asking $7500, which seems VERY high. I gave lots less for my Champ and it is in good "driver" condition.
                  That's right, Kurt; it is.

You'll have to figure out what it is worth to you and then offer accordingly.

Meanwhile, I'd monitor the galactic weather reports.

If you see a report that hades has frozen over solid, you'll not see that truck for sale. They will have gotten their $7,500. BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Yeah. Very high indeed. I really don't want to offer over $1500 for it. And that might be too much, but it is really cute and 10 miles from my house.
                    1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Kurt; Nice looking truck and it even has the valence panel behing the front bumper! So many of those seem to be missing on new finds these days. I agree with you and others that $7500 is too much. From the photo and your description I would venture a ballpark value of $3000. It doesn't have the original engine, (and perhaps other mechanical items) so he shouldn't expect someone to jump at $7500.

Make him an offer- he may be ready to accept less after being low-balled or 'stood-up' by previous lookers. You don't lose anything if he doesn't accept your offer.

Frank Drumheller
                      Locust Grove, VA
                      60S-W6
                      M16-52 '48 Studebaker-Boyer fire truck
                      Last edited by studelark; 08-04-2013, 05:01 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
                      X