Updating my new 62 Lark Convertible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updating my new 62 Lark Convertible

I recently bought a 62 Lark Convertible. It was a running, driving car, but the 6 cyl 3 speed was having fits running right. It just so happened that 2 weeks after I bought the Convert, I found a completely rebuilt 259 with a 4 speed for sale.... really cheap. So, the two got married. Now the 259 4 speed is installed in the Convert. I just finished installing the radiator and hoses. Driveshaft is in, motor mounts done, shifter in, and I'm hoping to have it running in a couple days. Next is generator and some minor wiring modifications. Some wires need to be extended from one side to the other. I can't wait to drive this thing.
    Before I pulled the 6 out of it, I found that all lights work, brake lights, wipers, signals etc. I am so thrilled about this car.

Pics coming.
    sals54

The 6 cyl brakes are much smaller than V8 drums....you may want to upgrade.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Yes, the braking comes to mind right away.....but straighten that out, and You'll have a nice summer ride for maybe not that much $$$. Good luck!

Comment

I've got a feeling Sal is familar with the drill. He's been around here for a while.
        "In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

I have to admit, I'm a bit envious. Congrats on a great find!
          '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Sal,

I know how you feel wanting to get the convertible on the road. My 1963 is getting close and hope to be having it on the road for July 1. Since early spring, I've rebuilt the front end, added a Turner brake system c/w power booster and all new brake lines, engine went to the machine shop about a month ago was bored out to 299ci from 259ci with all the R-series parts, so the short block is completed although I'm still waiting for the heads to be completed. I've converted the column shift to power shift, and I'm in the process of installing a Dana 44 3.31 TT, with new leaf springs, shocks and brakes. Things can progress quickly when you've been collecting parts for the build, although I've had a few setbacks with stupid stuff like finding good Dana 44 castle nuts and shocks from FLAPS with no luck. I should have the parts I need early next week.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures of your build when you get the chance.

Allen
            1964 GT Hawk
            PSMCDR 2014
            Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
            PSMCDR 2013
            Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Allan,
              It sounds like yours will be a top shelf build. Mine is just going to be more daily driver quality. It already looks pretty good, I just want it to run well. Its going to be almost 110* today, and I was hoping to have it in the muffler shop, but that will wait for next week. Once its running, I'll drop it off at the upholstery shop. New top and new seats. I can't wait.
              sals54

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                Allan,
                It sounds like yours will be a top shelf build. Mine is just going to be more daily driver quality. It already looks pretty good, I just want it to run well. Its going to be almost 110* today, and I was hoping to have it in the muffler shop, but that will wait for next week. Once its running, I'll drop it off at the upholstery shop. New top and new seats. I can't wait.
                Sal,

The mechanicals will be top shelf, the rest is a work in progress. The car deserves a total restoration, it's that nice. I bought the 1963 Convertible from John Poulos a few years ago, the next summer we took the car on holidays down the North Carolina. What a mistake the car lacked power and by the time we got back home I told my girlfriend that she is not driving the car again until I fix it. That was 3 years ago. Within weeks it will be a really nice driver.

BTW, When are we going to see some pictures of this Convertible?
                1964 GT Hawk
                PSMCDR 2014
                PSMCDR 2013

Victoria, Canada

Comment

The Convert is parked in a horrible place for pics right now. Its boxed in by a 95 Impala SS, my 54 Coupe and backed up by the 56 Wagon. So here are a couple of close ups, and one from the trailer when I picked it up.
                  In the mean time, I got the generator on today, and once I swap out the carb, it'll be time to fire it.
                  sals54

Comment

Sweet, It's just like Michael Myers 62 convertible, white with a black top. Nice score!

Allen
                    1964 GT Hawk
                    PSMCDR 2014
                    PSMCDR 2013

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Thanks, this was one of those "right place, right time" moments. I couldn't get it on the trailer fast enough.
                      But here's another part of the story... There was another car there as well. It's a 58 Jaguar XK 150 Coupe. Also a running and driving car.

This one, though, I could not afford. I should have begged, borrowed or stolen the money to buy it, cuz they wanted $10K for it. I immediately called a friend of mine and he pounced on it. He said it was easily worth twice that. He is in the process of restoring it to Barret-Jackson standards. He is still amazed that I found it, let alone allowed him to buy it. I simply couldn't work out the financing on such short notice. And I could not let it slip away.
                      sals54

Comment

Yeah the best deals always seem to pop up when you either dont have any money or the money you have needs to urgently go towards something else.

Comment

Got the carb changed out today and extended the wires for the generator to the pass side. It's getting closer and closer and closer.
                          sals54

Comment

Working...
                          X