Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: 1953-54 coupe arm rest direction

Hello all:
    I've seen photos of different 1953-54 coupes and some have the arm rests one way, and some the other way. What I mean is, the tilted down end of the arm rest. How did they come from the factory, tilted end forward or toward the back?
    Thanks, Dave
    Dave Davis
    Bakersfield, Ca.
    1953 Commander Regal Starlight
    \'58 392 Chrysler Hemi powered

Toward the back is correct

Comment

....and then same rests were available for back seat passengers, too. I have four in my 55K and they took well to vinyl paint.
      Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Coupes/hardtops and 2-4 doors depending on year{that used the smaller type with the plastic base and removeable top pad have the same looking ones} however, difference is. door ones serve as door pull/armrests and the ones in the 2 door rear seating area are arm rests only having no provision for allowing your fingers and hand to grip them. My 55 pres and my 60 Lark 4 dr. use the same type on the doors but the front of the door pull/arm rest and rear door pull/armrest and the Presidents rear quarter window area armrest only points down. Who the heck knows for sure on all models but I'd be willing to bet a 60 Lark arm rest or arm rest/door pull has the pointer downward in the forward position. We got's to know. Any body here of certainity??????????? Please chime on in.. jimmijim
        Last edited by jimmijim8; 06-05-2013, 11:06 AM.
        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

I could be wrong, but I thought that after reclining seats came out 1959, the curve down went to the Front, so that the narrower, tapered rear portion would clear the seat backs...no?

Click image for larger version

Name:	60Deluxe 4 Dr5.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	1680211
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I think the question concerned the '53-'54. And while many Studebaker brochures are wrong, I think this one is right because the '55 has them the same way. By the way I got some of them on Ebay and even though the originals do not have a place for the fingers to go through, the ones I have do. Feels better, too

John

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              I could be wrong, but I thought that after reclining seats came out 1959, the curve down went to the Front, so that the narrower, tapered rear portion would clear the seat backs...no?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24273[/ATTACH]
              WOW! Now THAT'S a good looking interior!

Comment

just checked my 55 as I couldn't sleep and found the arm rest/door pulls and rear quarter arm rests to be positioned as TEX said. I ain't LION this time. jimmijim
                sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Working...
                X