Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HMMM Dont know why this happened in my 50 commander.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: HMMM Dont know why this happened in my 50 commander.

On the very uneventful drive home from work in my 50 commander I pulled off the freeway and was rolling up to a light when I seem to have heard a small pop and them the engine died. and the battery was too drained to start it back up. A quick jump start and off I went the remaining 4 blocks to the house. no other issues seemingly. Other than running the lights all else was off in the car.

So where do I start to look for causes? I had the generator tested about a year ago all was just fine with it. Regulator was checked at the same time that was a.o.k. too.
    I'm thinking it might be a loose connection somewhere. And other suggestions?
    Last edited by Edsel G. Tattooer; 06-04-2013, 02:13 PM.
    I have a 1950 4 door Commander a 51 land cruiser And a 52 Champion
    sigpic
    I'll Tattoo you anytime!
    And you can find me at....

New Shop Name Same tattoo shop
    Crazy Lady Ink
    Shakopee Mn.
    952-445-3281
    27 years in the tattooing biz

If the car was running and then the battery was too drained to restart it, something is going on with either the battery or the charging system. The "pop" could have been something failing in the generator or the voltage regulator, or something totally unrelated.

I would check out the charging system and the battery. Does the ammeter indicate a charge when revving up the engine just a bit?
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Yes it does Roy it seems to run "normal" all of the time. And the gauge seems to read normally Im going to check the ground on the regulator to the firewall. I think that might be the culprit.
      sigpic
      I'll Tattoo you anytime!

Crazy Lady Ink
      Shakopee Mn.
      952-445-3281

Comment

An intermittent dead short? A jump from a good battery got you started. With a generator system, once you're running, you don't need a battery, assuming the regulator and generator are communicating as they should.
        Perhaps the battery itself popped a cell.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Good to hear from you, Edsel. Let us know what you find, since a lot of times it seems like these cars have similar issues crop up. Oh, and you've been busy, sir -- a Commander AND a Champion now? cool...
          sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
          Regal Deluxe Trim
          Automatic transmission
          46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

I have a '50 Commander and have not run into that one yet. Bad grounds can be a problem. I would take it to a garage where they can test the battery and check the electrical system.
            And how about a picture of that Commander. I would love to see it.
            Ed Sallia
            Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

I have to do the same in my 55. I read the Shop manual and it gives a couple of easy pointers to check generator and voltage regulator with a jumper wire and your amp gauge. No meter necessary. Good luck.
              Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

To be more precise the pop sounded like an electrical thing shutting off. Or better yet losing power, it was not the OD kicking out that happened way be for this occurred. I think a short Or better yet and open circuit would explain a lot about this. Just where to look is the issue. I also have an issue with a ground for the turn signals not currently working. I think it could be related issues.

My commander is in the same shape as it was last year. A rolling bucket with rust issues. Although I did get new/used fenders for it I hope to have on the front end this year. They cleaned up real nice.

The Champion is in remarkable shape for a 1 owner car A few issues around the rockers and one small hole in the floorboard passenger side. The real issue is the brakes totally shot bad scored drums pads need replacing. I'm Opting for discs from turner to replace it all. $2400 car $1700 brakes now my car is worth $3000 right?
                sigpic
                I'll Tattoo you anytime!

Crazy Lady Ink
                Shakopee Mn.
                952-445-3281

Comment

Originally posted by Edsel G. Tattooer View Post
                  I'm Opting for discs from turner to replace it all.
                  I love Jim Turner, and it's your dollar but, for the Champion, I would just invest in a complete V8 brake swap from any '55 or later. The difference in my '51 Commander was like night and day, and it's pushed by a V8.
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

So after digging in to the car and its eccentricities. I found that the Battery was low on you guessed it water. It wasn't charging enough to keep the lights running when driving down the road. So now that is topped off it runs great. And I haven't had any issues day or night.

I got the caliper brackets and M/C brakets from Jim and I found a place to get the brake parts for damn near cost. So discs all round for the '52. Driving it by the end of the month I think if the money works out that way for me.
                    sigpic
                    I'll Tattoo you anytime!

Crazy Lady Ink
                    Shakopee Mn.
                    952-445-3281

Comment

My buddy who rebuilds electrical components always stresses START WITH A FULLY CHARGED BATTERY before doing any electrical tests. Rob in PA.

Comment

Great advise Rob!
                        sigpic
                        I'll Tattoo you anytime!

Crazy Lady Ink
                        Shakopee Mn.
                        952-445-3281

Comment

When an old setup quits... Hop out and grab the coil with a bare hand.
                          If it is too hot to hold, then the coil is failing.
                          Then... Look at the points.
                          If they are blue, then the points are bad.

I'll leave the battery/generator/regulator polarization as an option, too.
                          I just do the cheap/free diagnosis stuff first, and then look deeper.

But... WTF do I know? I don't own anything
                          Jeff
                          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                          X