Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where can I get repair parts for my overdrive solenoid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Where can I get repair parts for my overdrive solenoid?

I have several non-functional overdrive solenoids. All have failed in the same way: the contact set that holds the plunger open fails and the end melts off, losing contact.

I repaired one by soldering a new contact onto the end of the spring steel contact holder. It worked well for several months, but the solder eventually let loose.

I'd like to replace those contacts and make my spare solenoids useable, but I've been unable to find a source for rebuild parts. Can someone point me to a supplier, please?

No guarantees as to availability, Ted, but try Randy Rundle at Fifth Avenue Antique Auto Parts in Clay Center KS.

Randy advertises all the time in Turning Wheels, and has extensive experience in those units. If he doesn't have what you need, I can't think of anyone more qualified to suggest where you might find it. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Let us know if you find replacement contacts, please. I have used stainless steel screw heads and brass screw heads, and neither of them last long. The original contacts are tungsten and I suspect the arms are phosphor-bronze, but do not know for sure.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I replaced them before using Bell Telephone surplus switching equipment.
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Bez, how did you take the contacts off the old arms and put them on the ones in the Studebaker solenoid? Or did you fashion a new complete arm by bending the bell equipment arm, drilling it, and putting that into the solenoid?
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

Comment

I used the whole arm. Phosphor bronze also, I believe, and riveted to the old remnants of the originals
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

how about contact replacements for motor contactors from McMaster Carr
              McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

Contact Replacement Kits
              McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.
              1947 M5 under restoration
              a bunch of non-Stude stuff

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                I used the whole arm. Phosphor bronze also, I believe, and riveted to the old remnants of the originals
                That makes sense. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X