PDA

View Full Version : I spy an with my little eye an R1 engine

GThawkwind
06-03-2013, 02:09 PM
I spotted this ad on craigslist today http://sd.craigslist.org/pts/3818207645.html . Sitting on the hood of a four door lark I notice chrome valve cover and black paint, I think it's an R1. I don't know if it's any good considering where its sitting but maybe worth a look or two. Wonder if theres anyone in sturgis that would help with pick/shipping, how bad would short distance shipping freight be on a 700 pound engine?

studeski
06-03-2013, 02:15 PM
Don't look like anR1 to me

GThawkwind
06-03-2013, 02:16 PM
Don't look like anR1 to me

not the one in the garage but the one on the hood of the car.

studeski
06-03-2013, 02:39 PM
Still no. Small vibration damper.

GThawkwind
06-03-2013, 02:42 PM
Still no. Small vibration damper.
AH HA so it's junk..... I was hoping one of you guys would help figure that out. I'm not famillar with how to spot an r engine. Wierd that it has both black paint and the valve covers though

61Lark
06-03-2013, 03:03 PM
It's worth a look. That appears to be a chrome valve cover, who knows what else it has for parts. Sturgis is only 30 miles from Rapid City.....

"One dealer at least was exceptional. Motor Service Company in Rapid City SD. He sold a bigger percentage of Avanti powered cars than any other dealer and wrote letters to the factory criticizing their lack of marketing for hi performance Studebakers." - JDP/Maryland

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?27977-Differences-Betwen-63-and-64-Avanti-R2

sals54
06-03-2013, 05:51 PM
Don't be too quick to dismiss that being an R1 engine. The chrome valve covers and black paint may be the tell tale signs you need. The pulley is less of a factor in my opinion. I have an R1 in my Coupe and I run the standard pulley for sheer convenience. One belt makes it far simpler and lighter. Besides, the engine may have originally been acquired without the lower pulley. An investigation should be in order. For $500 you could hardly go wrong if you have the storage.

06-03-2013, 07:37 PM
I spotted this ad on craigslist today http://sd.craigslist.org/pts/3818207645.html . Sitting on the hood of a four door lark I notice chrome valve cover and black paint, I think it's an R1. I don't know if it's any good considering where its sitting but maybe worth a look or two. Wonder if theres anyone in sturgis that would help with pick/shipping, how bad would short distance shipping freight be on a 700 pound engine?

Chrome valve covers were available as parts of an engine dress-up kits (included chrome breather caps and a chrome dipstick. I believe the old Standard Surplus had a bunch of then- $9.95 for the kit. I bought a kit at a Studebaker dealer for the same price. So, chrome valve covers can indicate a R engine, but not always.

StudeRich
06-03-2013, 08:15 PM
There are some interesting things you can see in these pics. The person who years ago tried his best to save these cars and parts had the black plastic cover over what he thought was the most valuable, the engine on the hood!

The engine in the shed tells me that MOST LIKELY, he had a low mileage '56 or '57 Turquoise Green Block, he wanted to put it in one of his '63's, so he installed a '63 Intake Manifold with Carb., a '63 Water Manifold with Fan Pulley (Black) and the Yellow Valve Covers and Oil Caps so he could use the '56/'57 Engine in one of his '63 Larks. He may have gotten too old or died before finishing, and they were left to rust.
So this guy was pretty good at swapping Stude. Parts around!

Hey, it COULD have happened!
While, I could never compete with Roscoe/Biggs/Bob or Bob Palma for story telling, I tried!

ROADRACELARK
06-03-2013, 08:29 PM
One very obvious tell-tale for the "R" engines is the crankcase breather pipe mounted to the passenger side of the oil pan. Most have the dip stick tube incorporated with the pipe mounting at the pan. Hope this helps.

Dan Miller
Auburn, GA

JimC
06-03-2013, 10:27 PM
Lots of good parts there, even if that's not an R series. The paint and chrome do lead one to suspect it could be possible. I guess you'll just have to drive up there and find out.

While you're there, pull those chrome valve covers for me. I'd love a set.

GThawkwind
06-03-2013, 10:48 PM
One very obvious tell-tale for the "R" engines is the crankcase breather pipe mounted to the passenger side of the oil pan. Most have the dip stick tube incorporated with the pipe mounting at the pan. Hope this helps.

Dan Miller
Auburn, GA
So is it an R1 or not? I'm confused.

JimC
06-03-2013, 11:32 PM
I think he's saying that might help identify it if someone were there to look. As it is, the passenger side isn't shown in the photos.

GThawkwind
06-03-2013, 11:48 PM
I think he's saying that might help identify it if someone were there to look. As it is, the passenger side isn't shown in the photos.
Oh I get it now!!! Duh.

Warren Webb
06-04-2013, 12:40 AM
A 30 mile drive is worth the trip. If it was that close to me I'd be in the car now going down the road. Once your there see the engine number, that will tell the story. If it starts with a P or V then its a regular Stude V-8 but if it has the beginning JT or R or if the passengers side has this funny looking tube coming out of the oil pan then it's a grab now!

GThawkwind
06-04-2013, 01:56 AM
If it was 30 miles I'd just go there its 450 miles. Still worth bothering the owner about though. Anyone in sturgis?

M15 Trucker
06-04-2013, 06:29 AM
If the $500 price includes both the Cruiser and the Wagonair and their engines, then I think it's a hell of a good deal.

thunderations
06-04-2013, 09:20 AM
I'm guessing the body tag on the Cruiser might tell a story too.

PackardV8
06-04-2013, 09:35 AM
I'm guessing the body tag on the Cruiser might tell a story too.
Yes, the story of what Studebaker installed forty-eight years ago. In my experience, that will not be indicative of what any of those engines actually are today. Even the block serial numbers aren't to be considered as an absolute indicator. I'm still PO'd about hauling a 289" engine three hundred miles to find a 259" crank in there. jack vines

SScopelli
06-07-2013, 12:10 PM
Looking at the engine on the frame, it looks as if it is not a full flow block either. Full flows had extra webbing around the outside of the freezplug holes.

The green garage engine was a PS engine from the Stud upper left water manifold and the dual pulleys.

But a guy who likes Studies and Boxers can't be all that bad.

1962larksedan
06-07-2013, 12:15 PM
If the $500 price includes both the Cruiser and the Wagonair and their engines, then I think it's a hell of a good deal.

I have a couple of Studebaker cars and parts. These have been sitting for many years. V8 engines, automatic and manual transmission. Cars have been vandalized with broken glass. We can load with forks onto a trailer. Don't know what's good or not but $500 for everything. Outside of Sturgis. 605-Eight Nine Zero-One Two Three Zero

From the actual CraisgList ad.

SScopelli
06-10-2013, 12:14 PM
From the actual CraisgList ad.

Contacted him..

The engine numbers are:
PI04383 and V572I62 (Garage). Both 2bbl..

stude1964
06-10-2013, 09:05 PM
Did I miss the Cruiser trim on the 'Cruiser' ? Rob in PA.

SScopelli
06-11-2013, 12:14 PM
Contacted him..

The engine numbers are:
PI04383 and V572I62 (Garage). Both 2bbl..

Please feel free to share the info. My folks used to belong to the Studebaker Club and helped with many meets. I don't know if I still have the stacks of Turning Wheels magazines. Dad's name was Preston 'Buster' Hill and Mom's was Mable.

He sold Studebaker in the 1960's as a sideline to his farm implement dealership, Preston Hill Sales in Belle Fourche, South Dakota, which was primarily John Deere. I do not know of any dealership memorabilia that he had. I think I remember a photo of an Avanti and a couple other Studebakers lined up in front of the Studebaker sign on his building but have no idea where it is now. I do remember Dad was proud to bring the first Avanti into the State.

Dad restored many Studebakers (hired the work done by pros as he was not much of a mechanic or body man himself) and was probably most active in the '80's and '90,s. The items I put on Craigslist were some of what he had stored on land I own. I suppose he figured on restoring them or using them for parts. I have had request for certain parts but I really just want to sell the whole works as one lot. Being very familiar with car restoration, I think someone would be able to take all the stuff, use what they need and make a little money on the extras. I don't really care about the money potential - just hope someone can put the parts to good use.

Thank you for your information and interest.

Brent Hill

Anyone need 2 engines and some parts?