I spy an with my little eye an R1 engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I spy an with my little eye an R1 engine

I spotted this ad on craigslist today http://sd.craigslist.org/pts/3818207645.html . Sitting on the hood of a four door lark I notice chrome valve cover and black paint, I think it's an R1. I don't know if it's any good considering where its sitting but maybe worth a look or two. Wonder if theres anyone in sturgis that would help with pick/shipping, how bad would short distance shipping freight be on a 700 pound engine?

Don't look like anR1 to me
    1936 Dictator
    1950 Champion Regal 4 dr parts car
    1953 Commander Regal HT
    1953 2R5 Pickup
    1947 M16 Truck
    1960 Lark VIII Convertible
    1960 Champ 5E7 step side short box
    1962 Champ 7E5 no box
    1962 GT Hawk
    1963 Lark VI 4 dr
    1963 GT Hawk R2
    1964 Daytona Convertible
    1964 Commander Wagonaire

“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” ~ Abraham Lincoln​

Comment

Originally posted by studeski View Post
      Don't look like anR1 to me
      not the one in the garage but the one on the hood of the car.

Comment

Still no. Small vibration damper.
        1936 Dictator
        1950 Champion Regal 4 dr parts car
        1953 Commander Regal HT
        1953 2R5 Pickup
        1947 M16 Truck
        1960 Lark VIII Convertible
        1960 Champ 5E7 step side short box
        1962 Champ 7E5 no box
        1962 GT Hawk
        1963 Lark VI 4 dr
        1963 GT Hawk R2
        1964 Daytona Convertible
        1964 Commander Wagonaire

“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” ~ Abraham Lincoln​

Comment

Originally posted by studeski View Post
          Still no. Small vibration damper.
          AH HA so it's junk..... I was hoping one of you guys would help figure that out. I'm not famillar with how to spot an r engine. Wierd that it has both black paint and the valve covers though

Comment

It's worth a look. That appears to be a chrome valve cover, who knows what else it has for parts. Sturgis is only 30 miles from Rapid City.....

"One dealer at least was exceptional. Motor Service Company in Rapid City SD. He sold a bigger percentage of Avanti powered cars than any other dealer and wrote letters to the factory criticizing their lack of marketing for hi performance Studebakers." - JDP/Maryland

Comment

Don't be too quick to dismiss that being an R1 engine. The chrome valve covers and black paint may be the tell tale signs you need. The pulley is less of a factor in my opinion. I have an R1 in my Coupe and I run the standard pulley for sheer convenience. One belt makes it far simpler and lighter. Besides, the engine may have originally been acquired without the lower pulley. An investigation should be in order. For $500 you could hardly go wrong if you have the storage.
              sals54

Comment

Originally posted by GThawkwind View Post
                I spotted this ad on craigslist today http://sd.craigslist.org/pts/3818207645.html . Sitting on the hood of a four door lark I notice chrome valve cover and black paint, I think it's an R1. I don't know if it's any good considering where its sitting but maybe worth a look or two. Wonder if theres anyone in sturgis that would help with pick/shipping, how bad would short distance shipping freight be on a 700 pound engine?
                Chrome valve covers were available as parts of an engine dress-up kits (included chrome breather caps and a chrome dipstick. I believe the old Standard Surplus had a bunch of then- $9.95 for the kit. I bought a kit at a Studebaker dealer for the same price. So, chrome valve covers can indicate a R engine, but not always.
                Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

There are some interesting things you can see in these pics. The person who years ago tried his best to save these cars and parts had the black plastic cover over what he thought was the most valuable, the engine on the hood!

The engine in the shed tells me that MOST LIKELY, he had a low mileage '56 or '57 Turquoise Green Block, he wanted to put it in one of his '63's, so he installed a '63 Intake Manifold with Carb., a '63 Water Manifold with Fan Pulley (Black) and the Yellow Valve Covers and Oil Caps so he could use the '56/'57 Engine in one of his '63 Larks. He may have gotten too old or died before finishing, and they were left to rust.
                  So this guy was pretty good at swapping Stude. Parts around!

Hey, it COULD have happened!
                  While, I could never compete with Roscoe/Biggs/Bob or Bob Palma for story telling, I tried!
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

One very obvious tell-tale for the "R" engines is the crankcase breather pipe mounted to the passenger side of the oil pan. Most have the dip stick tube incorporated with the pipe mounting at the pan. Hope this helps.

Dan Miller
                    Auburn, GA

Comment

Lots of good parts there, even if that's not an R series. The paint and chrome do lead one to suspect it could be possible. I guess you'll just have to drive up there and find out.

While you're there, pull those chrome valve covers for me. I'd love a set.
                      '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Originally posted by ROADRACELARK View Post
                        One very obvious tell-tale for the "R" engines is the crankcase breather pipe mounted to the passenger side of the oil pan. Most have the dip stick tube incorporated with the pipe mounting at the pan. Hope this helps.

Dan Miller
                        Auburn, GA
                        So is it an R1 or not? I'm confused.

Comment

I think he's saying that might help identify it if someone were there to look. As it is, the passenger side isn't shown in the photos.
                          '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Originally posted by JimC View Post
                            I think he's saying that might help identify it if someone were there to look. As it is, the passenger side isn't shown in the photos.
                            Oh I get it now!!! Duh.

Comment

A 30 mile drive is worth the trip. If it was that close to me I'd be in the car now going down the road. Once your there see the engine number, that will tell the story. If it starts with a P or V then its a regular Stude V-8 but if it has the beginning JT or R or if the passengers side has this funny looking tube coming out of the oil pan then it's a grab now!
                              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                              64 Zip Van
                              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Working...
                              X