No announcement yet.

Should I buy this car, Advice needed!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I buy this car, Advice needed!!!

If any person can show just cause why me and this Studebaker may not be joined together - let them speak now or forever hold their peace......... As a few of you read in the thread 'Calling Sals54" there was a massive thread derail concerning a 1953 starlight spotted 45 minutes from where I live http://siouxfalls.craigslist.org/cto/3815881446.html. I was not first interested but after some prodding from my fellow club members, and friends I decided to call the owner. He redid the front floor pans in a way that woul offend many. He cut out the bad metal shaped some good metal and set it on top of the hole, and welded it in place, after a bit of filler it looks pretty damn good from top side, but truly horrible from the bottom. I think it's completely solid, and who's gonna be down there looking it over other than me? The trunk p[an only required a couple very small patches. The body itself needed no work, fenders, back fenders,rockers, that type of stuff was rust free to start out. He has the parts but the gauge cluster, and the windsheild, and well of course the rubber, carpet, headliner, but that stuff is a given. Parts he has but are broken are, taillights, front turn signal lenses, side glass, and front vent windows(good enough to make a pattern) seats, door panels(they need upholtery). I'm sure there is other nit picky stuff. Right now I'm thinking project on the side, make the deadline IDYSD 2014. And while this thing is being built, I still need a car to get to work and such( I currently borrow) Buy my brothers Datsun As a daily beater, it'll be cheap cause we are super close and he needs to get it out of where it's at. All it needs is struts, and a tune up. Now I need to find a good place to put the car, where I can work on it, any advice? I would also love to find a GT hawk with a four speed, that is rusted out beyond feasible repair for a parts car, anyone got one? I need any and alll advice I can get we don't go to make a deal till saturday, then the goes straight up to Sioux Falls where it wil await a coat of emamel paint from a buddy. Should I do this? Am I being crazy? What are some things that I will need? This will not be resto, simply a resurection/reasembly/repaint. I'm on a low buget So CASO time is now. I'm not concerned with anything being original, but I want a stude V8, it's six is right there complete, but it's a six. It might go back in as stop gap to a V8. Here's a bunch of really crappy pics ....

And here's the kicker!

I asked him if he had any other cars, and the he smiled and pulled back a car cover to reveal this little thing....................................And told me this awesome story... http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com...bakerFound.asp Read it!

Comment

Hey...you have my permission...(that should be enough.)
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I will be the dissident vote. You wanted a driver and this isn't it.
        Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Originally posted by Swifster View Post
          I will be the dissident vote. You wanted a driver and this isn't it.
          I'm starting to think future driver, current project might work out even better though. BTW your one to talk!!

Comment

I would have left it red with that awesome patina ....
            If you can handle a project like that - get it ..

Comment

Originally posted by GThawkwind View Post
              I'm starting to think future driver, current project might work out even better though. BTW your one to talk!!
              What? I was looking for a project. That's what I bought.
              Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Buy it. For the price, It's a great project car. By a cheap beater to drive around while you transform this one.

PS - I got your pm's. I'm out of town and on my phone. It's too bad you couldn't get the car to Sioux City today, as I'll be passing through the south end of town tomorrow around lunch time.
                '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Dan, as i said in the other thread, if she was nearby my place, she'd already be in my 'cave! my concern would be someone else buying her before next saturday.

my priority would get it to run, drive and stop - with the 6. you can always find a Stude 8 later. the side glass shouldn't be a problem to replace. the other stuff available thru vendors, etc.

so, i'd call the guy up see if he'll take a deposit to hold the car for you 'til next saturday or go ahead and purchase her today - pick it up when you can. if either works out, order service, parts and chassis manuals, asap.

most of all, have fun with her!!!
                  Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Originally posted by Corvanti View Post
                    Dan, as i said in the other thread, if she was nearby my place, she'd already be in my 'cave! my concern would be someone else buying her before next saturday.

my priority would get it to run, drive and stop - with the 6. you can always find a Stude 8 later. the side glass shouldn't be a problem to replace. the other stuff available thru vendors, etc.

so, i'd call the guy up see if he'll take a deposit to hold the car for you 'til next saturday or go ahead and purchase her today - pick it up when you can. if either works out, order service, parts and chassis manuals, asap.

most of all, have fun with her!!!
                    He's on buesiness leave in france till saturday morning, and not taking anymore calls on it till I get back to him. Super nice dude Not gonna sell it out from under me.

Comment

For that money, I'd buy it on principle.
                      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Worst case scenario is how I usually evaluate my big purchases. In this case,the worst case scenario is that you decide you hate the car, and sell it for at least what you paid for it.
                        '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

cool! if your confident in that, go ahead and order the needed manuals to get a head start on your "homework".

Stude Int'l has them as well as other Stude vendors. not trying to offend vendors, but i've picked up some used ones on ebay at a caso price...
                          Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Originally posted by Corvanti View Post
                            cool! if your confident in that, go ahead and order the needed manuals to get a head start on your "homework".

Stude Int'l has them as well as other Stude vendors. not trying to offend vendors, but i've picked up some used ones on ebay at a caso price...
                            Cool thanks.

Comment

I could double my money on the four rust free fenders alone! I figure if I get in over my head I'll do what's right and sell it ot a club member for what I have into it, but strictly not for parts.

Comment

Working...
                              X