Antenna Cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antenna Cable

I want to put a new antenna cable on my 57 Hawk radio. It has dual antennas and I would like to know if the cable from the radio is just a push in plug like on the radio end? There is no retaining nut holding it in, but I've tried to pull it out and it doesn't want to move and I don't want to force it for fear of breaking it. Any info would be appreciated.

If you are talking about the end of the cable that attaches to the antenna, there were generally two types: One that was crimped onto the antenna and cannot be removed, and one that has a knurled nut.

Is there any particular reason you want to change the cable?
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
      If you are talking about the end of the cable that attaches to the antenna, there were generally two types: One that was crimped onto the antenna and cannot be removed, and one that has a knurled nut.

Is there any particular reason you want to change the cable?
      Roy, as you may recall, I broke the end of the cable that plugs into the radio and replaced it with a solderless Motorola plug. After having the radio repaired, I have to raise the antenna more than I like to get the volume up. I don't feel good about that Motorola plug and thought I would just replace the whole cable. The cable end at the antenna will turn in it's "socket", so I'm not sure it's crimped, but then again it doesn't have a retaining nut.

Comment

Have you tried optimizing the antenna trimmer? The what you say? That's what I thought.

Check out this little thing I wrote years ago:

Any time the radio is removed from the car, or a new radio installed, or an old radio moved to ma different car, the antenna trimmer should be adjusted. This procedure will electrically match the radios input to the characteristics of the particular car.

HERE'S HOW
        The only tools needed are a flashlight and a small screwdriver.

1. Locate the antenna trimmer. Some radios have a small screw recessed into the case of the radio, and some radios have a protruding, knurled knob. Yours has a protruding knurled knob, right by the antenna wire. On later models (1958 and newer) a screw is often under the tuning knob and can be accessed when the tuning knob is removed from the front of the radio. On older models it is near the antenna lead-in wire. This is the fat, round wire that plugs into the radio from the antenna. Sometimes the trimmer will say "ANT" or "ANT ADJ." next to it.

2. Wait until night time if possible.

3. Turn on the radio and let it warm up for 15 to 20 minutes. Leave the antenna at its normal height. Turn the key to the accessory position (engine off).

4. On the high end of the AM band (1400 kHz or higher) locate a weak station and tune it in as well as you can. NOTE: Do not tune in a strong station poorly. It must be a weak , distant station tuned in properly.

5. Turn the volume control down to a low level. Next adjust the antenna trimmer for maximum volume and bass response. Rock the trimmer back and forth on both sides of maximum volume (just as you would tune in a station) to make sure the trimmer is on the right spot.

6. Pick out another weak, distant station and adjust the trimmer again. Keep the volume low enough to tell what you are doing. This completes the operation. Pull yourself out from under the dash and straighten the kinks out of your bones!
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I have new cables to replace your old cable. Roy

Comment

I appreciate the info, RadioRoy. I had my Philco 6V unit completely rebuilt, but between some unfortunate installs and re-installs, in which I found a 3/8 socket stuck in one of the brackets, and a new antenna, I'm not getting much reception. I'll tell my local sound guru about the antenna trimmer. Thanks.
            Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Originally posted by royvaldez View Post
              I have new cables to replace your old cable. Roy
              Roy, Thanks, but first I have to figure out how to get the cable out of the rear antenna.

Comment

Working...
              X