speedo cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo / Tach / Gauges: speedo cable

I am in the middle of checking on the condition of my speedo cable on my 60 wagon with a 170, 3spd/OD.
    Of course, I gather a few tools I think I'd need and I did not expect to only need a flat blade screwdriver

The transmission is supposed to have been replaced in the past 10 years or so, I was told, I'm just trying to figure out why the speedo reads 15mph under actual speed and recently I did a 5 mile official odometer mileage check and the odometer was a mile and a half over from what it should have been per the signage. It appears clean and intact where the cable goes into the trans.

What grease should I use on the cable end?

Ok. I see, no grease. The speedo end is a 23 tooth, most models for the 1960 six cylinder 3 speed/OD equipped models seem to call for the 22 tooth. Physics and math I generally can't do in my head, only correcting everyone's spelling and grammar. Should the 22 tooth speedo end correct my readout error? I have 195 65/15 tires on the car.

How do you go about replacing the gear end? I see there's a loose fitting o-ring on the end of the gear, it is keeping the end of the gear housing clean. Should that be replaced too?

Thank you. Having to constantly calculate the speedo reading when I drive this is becoming annoying, plus, I would like to get the odometer working correctly as a bonus.

The novelty of watching the car drive 75-80 on the speedometer as I drive on the freeway has worn off....
    Last edited by LeoH; 06-01-2013, 10:45 AM.

Comment

When I read the above posts I observe 2 things, 1) speedo is reading low and 2) odometer is reading high. If it were the pinion gear having the wrong number of teeth, then both should be either low or high, thus it probably is not a pinion gear issue. (they are easy to change and yes the o-ring seal should also be replaced). If it were my car, I would take the speedo to a speedo shop to be checked and fixed. Please consult the shop manual on lubricating the cable, you do not want to use regular grease.
      Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
      1961 Hawk 4-speed
      1967 Avanti
      1961 Lark 2 door
      1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Rats. What you said makes sense though.
        Thank you. Off to the shop cd.

Comment

you can buy special speedo cable lube at NAPA...if they still have it. Some folks use "Anti-seize" with good claims....Do you know what your R/A ratio is on the car ? My guess is 4.11 or maybe 4.56 with a Model 23 or 27 banjo.....you need to know these things because I believe the tire diameter is pretty much dead on for 6.40 X 15's.....

Comment

I forgot to mention the rear end. It's a 4.27

If I need to take the speedometer in to be rebuilt, wouldn't it be simpler, if not cheaper, to just buy a replacement speedometer that works and install that? From the looks of things, it's not like I'm using an accurate odometer as it is.

I meant to check my odometer today on the way through the 5 mile check. I did check the 1 and 3 mile marks, 3/10s and 7/10s high, respectively and apparently I forgot to watch for the end of the test

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
              you can buy special speedo cable lube at NAPA...if they still have it. Some folks use "Anti-seize" with good claims....Do you know what your R/A ratio is on the car ? My guess is 4.11 or maybe 4.56 with a Model 23 or 27 banjo.....you need to know these things because I believe the tire diameter is pretty much dead on for 6.40 X 15's.....

I'd lube the cable, just because it probably hasn't been done, but the speedo seems to hold pretty steady as it is. I looked in the lubrication section of the manual, but I didn't notice a description of how to, and what to, lube the speedo cable. Someone have a page number? I need to get the hardcopies as well as the cd.

Comment

Working...
              X