Progress Report on my '63 Daytona

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Progress Report on my '63 Daytona

I think we're really committed now. It looks like one of the exploded diagrams from the Shop Manual ...........

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
    1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
    1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
    1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

I always liked Champagne Gold on '63's...good luck!
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Comment

Thanks! I will say while Champaigne Gold is a great color(we have it on our Avanti) that's actually a VERY faded Rose Mist!
      1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Whoops! I think I actually like Rose Mist best of all '63 Stude colors, though.
        Bill Pressler
        Kent, OH
        (formerly Greenville, PA)
        Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
        Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
        1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
        1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
        All are in Australia now

Comment

I have a little bit more to add, before the sun went completely down. I dropped the gas tank out of it. It wasn't difficult, aside from three very rusted mounting bolts. After that, with the aged filler pipe rubber, it just slid right out! It had the remains of its last fill up in it, and as of this photo, still does. When I pulled it, I rolled it around a little bit, and felt something like sod clumps, rolling around inside. I flipped the tank over, dumped the remains out of the fill pipe, and this came out. It looks like dirt, rust, and of course, smells like varnish(old gasoline). There's quite a bit in it. If this were connected to a fuel system, the fuel filter would prevent this stuff from getting in. Frankly, the pickup line would plug up long before that happened, with the amount of sediment that was in it! This also goes along the lines of not hooking up the electricals, fuel, and brake lines, and taking off when dealing with a field car, because who knows what still remains in these systems!

I don't intend on using it, I'll set it aside as a spare. I have a nearly new tank in the '64 Commander, so that's gonna replace this one. I'm also working on removing almost everything from the frame, save for the body, because I want put POR-15 on it, which partially explains the complete disassembly of the vehicle.

Comment

Working...
          X