1962 Hawk chrome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: 1962 Hawk chrome

What are the odds of fixing small dents and dings in my chrome at home repair style? Rechroming costs a fortune as you all know and these are small dents. I see it going both ways when I look at it on web sites talking about chrome repair but a lot of the ones I see are talking about newer cars which have a different kind of "chrome" i assume. Anyways any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by kpayne9449 View Post
    What are the odds of fixing small dents and dings in my chrome at home repair style? Rechroming costs a fortune as you all know and these are small dents. I see it going both ways when I look at it on web sites talking about chrome repair but a lot of the ones I see are talking about newer cars which have a different kind of "chrome" i assume. Anyways any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Some of your parts, bumpers and zinc die cast parts are chrome plated, and there's little you can do. If you hammer a dent out of a bumper, the chrome plating will crack and possibly spall. You'll have an area which will rust.

But....if you're talking about the very thin pieces of trim, like wheel opening and window surrounds, those parts are actually stainless steel and can be straightened and polished back to new condition. It isn't easy, but it's virtually all labor, so little money out of your pocket.

Here's the first of a three part DIY video -

Matt demonstrates how stainless steel can be rehabbed - at home! In this first episode, Matt teaches Joe about 'tapping' and filing stainless steel Corvette...

Comment

Sweet, great help, Thanks!

Comment

Working...
      X