A different approach to a 56 mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A different approach to a 56 mod

That was seen here a few years(?) ago. Guess he hasn't found a buyer, yet. Looks like it WAS a nice car.
    May I offer that he did not understand what was involved with a chopping of a turret-top bodystyle? You will not get a rear window to fit that, and you'd be lucky to have someone cut a windshield that will now fit that opening. Door posts are a whole nother matter...
    KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Wasn't it nice of the seller to cut the roof off this car ???? A real Einstein!

Comment

Yes, this one's been kicking around for several years.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

I've got an X-member here. How's about a California ragtop?
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Why oh why, can't they just leave things alone? A Commander or especially a President 2 Door Sedan which it could be, is not really an undesirable Car that should be destroyed.
            The value drops when you do it "your way", so you need to plan to never sell it.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Was that a two door President?
              sigpic
              '89 Ford Festiva
              '90 Ford F250 4x4
              '18 Kia Soul
              '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
              '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
                Was that a two door President?

We can't tell without the Body Tag Model Number since all of the trim is gone, but those rear bumper over-rider bars are a clue and the "so called 289" Engine also.

Really David? FOUR Ford Festivas? I thought those were throwaway cars.

If you want a Real Classic Ford, I've got a '86 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe with hydraulic traction Bars, Borg Warner T5, 5 Speed Overdrive, Port Fuel Injection, Turbocharger, 3.42 Limited Slip, HD Stabilizers and struts, and a Hawk styled Front end with an Avanti like rear half!
                These '84 to '86 T-Birds set the style for all Cars from the Taurus on to todays aerodynamic shaped designs with the doors that open into the roof etc.
                Last edited by StudeRich; 05-30-2013, 07:53 PM.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I see the remains of some PRESIDENT trim on the front fender...

StudeDave '57
                  StudeDave '57
                  US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                  SDC Member since 1985

past President
                  Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                  San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                  San Diego Chapter SDC
                  North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

I suppose every one does'nt think like you,would be my guess.what's that saying that jack uses ?
                    Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                    Why oh why, can't they just leave things alone? A Commander or especially a President 2 Door Sedan which it could be, is not really an undesirable Car that should be destroyed.
                    The value drops when you do it "your way", so you need to plan to never sell it.
                    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Wish I had the title and vin tag to put on the one I have in the barn.

Comment

I'm not gonna harp on the seller. Alot of people would have pulled that motor and sent the body down the road. You know if you like Hot Rods (which I do) this was going in a nice direction. Our own 4961studebaker is doing something very like this only with a Lark, only difference is that better planing was put into his ride. If I had a shop and it was close I'd love to save this ride I would offer him a low price with the understanding that his vision would be finished. I really like this car, and it's almost awesome, it just needs a good home. I wonder if you could somehow do the glass in sections like they did curved glass before it was cost effective to have made properly. This guy got in over his head, he didn't mean to hurt the car, and I bet it eats at him everytime he sees it.
                        Last edited by GThawkwind; 05-30-2013, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Sad. I'd find a parts car, slice out the door-posts and return the roof to its original height.

Cuts look recent, may be a chance that he still has the cut out pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

We can't tell without the Body Tag Model Number since all of the trim is gone, but those rear bumper over-rider bars are a clue and the "so called 289" Engine also.

Really David? FOUR Ford Festivas? I thought those were throwaway cars.

If you want a Real Classic Ford, I've got a '86 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe with hydraulic traction Bars, Borg Warner T5, 5 Speed Overdrive, Port Fuel Injection, Turbocharger, 3.42 Limited Slip, HD Stabilizers and struts, and a Hawk styled Front end with an Avanti like rear half!
                            These '84 to '86 T-Birds set the style for all Cars from the Taurus on to todays aerodynamic shaped designs with the doors that open into the roof etc.
                            I would like too see a picture of that. I've wondewred how they would look together before.

Comment

Originally posted by GThawkwind View Post
                              I'm not gonna harp on the seller. Alot of people would have pulled that motor and sent the body down the road. You know if you like Hot Rods (which I do) this was going in a nice direction. Our own 4961studebaker is doing something very like this only with a Lark, only difference is that better planing was put into his ride. If I had a shop and it was close I'd love to save this ride I would offer him a low price with the understanding that his vision would be finished. I really like this car, and it's almost awesome, it just needs a good home. I wonder if you could somehow do the glass in sections like they did curved glass before it was cost effective to have made properly. This guy got in over his head, he didn't mean to hurt the car, and I bet it eats at him everytime he sees it.
                              You said it, better planning is what makes the difference.

I like a nice custom car. When someone makes a plan, and brings it to vision, that's a neat thing, even if it's not something I would personally put in my garage. It's just really unfortunate that someone would basically take a chop saw to the top of a car without doing the important footwork to see if he could find glass first. The car had a lot of potential, but you can see the moment that the guy went over his head was in taking the top down. And because it's such a niche car, it's going to be next to impossible to find someone to take this on. All around, it's poor planning.

That said, I do like the idea of reinforcing the vehicle and making it into a convertible. That would be the most cost effective way to save this car.
                              '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Working...
                              X