Door Seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Door Seals

I got new door seals for the Hawk today. Pulled "most" of the old ones off; but what is left is sticky, gooey, tarlike gunk and adhesive! Any magic formula for removing the stuff? Okay, maybe not magic, but something to make it less painful!

I used gasoline. Outside.
    Larry Y
    North Wales, PA

Comment

I have used 3M general Purpose adhesive cleaner part #08984 in the past with good results.
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

3M Adhesive Remover, plus an old hacksaw blade modified to use as a scraper. What I do is narrow the last 1-1/2 inch or so of the blade, and round the corners a little. If you are careful, you can scrape most of the sticky gooey stuff away. Follow up with the 3M adhesive remover for final cleanup. You won't get all the adhesive off, and really don't need to.......but do get all the old rubber and gooey stuff off.
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
        Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

3M makes a variety of adhesive removers. I don't remember which I used to remove weatherstrip adhesive but, it softened it, volatilized it and turned it in to a dry crumble that I could wipe away with a dry cloth. That's no help but, maybe someone knows the product I reference.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I also have used 3M adhesive remover with good results.
            Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Well, I got the gunk off. WD-40 worked pretty good. Question: Is it best to cut the corners on the new seals or try to glue them around the corners?

Comment

Make sure you clean the WD40 off now. It has silicon in it and your new adhesive will not stick.
                sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                1950 Champion Convertible
                1950 Champion 4Dr
                1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                1957 Thunderbird

Comment

I used acetone, outside. Flashes quickly off so you just do a couple of inches at a time. Leaves no residue. You can get it at Home Depot in the painting department, by the pint and gallon.
                  John
                  1963 Avanti R2
                  Marshall, VA

Comment

Try Lepages contact cement remover. It works very well, is not very volatile and cleans up with water. It does not affect the underlying paint surface. It also cleans off the factory applied "brown" adhesive that was liberally smeared in the region of the weatherseal.

Comment

I also washed the new seals with dawn dish detergent and rinsed well before applying adhesive.
                      Larry Y
                      North Wales, PA

Comment

Question: Is it best to cut/mitre the corners on the new seals or try to glue them around the corners?

Comment

Does any vendor offer good replacement seals for a '64 Champ or is there a suitable replacement at Pep Boys or any other vendor? The seals I have now are too thin and leave a gap that allows rain to come into the car. Thank you.

Comment

Stevel, yes - new door seals are available from Studebaker vendors (but not at your local Pep Boys!). You should be able to get them in a couple of days from Studebaker International, Studebakers Northwest, and many more - check out http://www.studebakervendors.com/ to find a big list of suppliers.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Acrysol by Kent Industries. Dealers have used this stuff for decades.

Comment

Working...
                              X