rebuild front calipers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: rebuild front calipers?

hello, what is the collective wisdom about rebuilding front calipers? Is there someplace with an exchange deal or is rebuilding the way to go?
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
    hello, what is the collective wisdom about rebuilding front calipers? Is there someplace with an exchange deal or is rebuilding the way to go?
    ...I rebuilt mine because the boots were torn, and I was rebuilding the whole braking system anyway...you get a boot and a piston seal and a pack o' lube..form Stude Intern'l. I sandblasted mine , being careful not to hit the piston /cylinder..
    I found some pitting inn the cyls , I read somewhere about using some stuff called pyro putty, I ended up using a Wurth 2 part epoxy to fill the pitting, sanded it out lightly, and finished it up with a brake cylinder hone..
    make sure you lube up everything upon assembly, i used a good quality brake lube from Napa, it was purple,
    Watch those x-over lines, they have a bubble flare and a regular flare on each end..

Comment

Thanks Dick!

Comment

Dave Thiebault sells stainless sleeved rebuilt units on an exchange basis, or send yours in to him to redo.
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I like rebuilding my own stuff. Dave might be a little different if he's doing them in house.
          Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
          1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
            Dave Thiebault sells stainless sleeved rebuilt units on an exchange basis, or send yours in to him to redo.
            Any idea of the cost?

Comment

I used White Post about 12 years ago, for the stainless sleeve mod on the OEM calipers of a 63GT. Last I heard, the car is still doing well with them.

Comment

Working...
              X