outside vents on hawk 61

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• outside vents on hawk 61

I have been working on my ventilation system on the hawk, the vent doors of my car were in bad shape. I was able to save one the drivers side however the pass. side needs to be replaced I know they are different. I called around and think I have found another my question is there someone reproducing the screen that keeps the leaves and debre out of the car? I also was looking at the rubber seal kit that I got and I can't determine where the some of the pre glued seal go?

Studebakers forever!
    Studebakers forever!

Not to hijack another's topic/thread, but... Does anyone have any information regarding the springs used on the vent doors? I know the part numbers, but cannot determine the dimensions, etc. Anyone have any ideas? Thx,in advance, tempestan

Comment

The only pre-glued seals I got were the ones that fit in to the fender to seal the door when it's shut. The other seals would fit around the kick panel opening, the fender panel opening and the front and rear halves of the duct plenums.

I'm not aware of repops of the screens; should be readily available from Studebaker salvagers.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Well you have the part number, now what you do is call a Studebaker Vendor! ...Hey Studebaker man! [:0][:0]

quote:Originally posted by tempestan

Not to hijack another's topic/thread, but... Does anyone have any information regarding the springs used on the vent doors? I know the part numbers, but cannot determine the dimensions, etc. Anyone have any ideas? Thx,in advance, tempestan
        StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Studebaker International has the screen, I received new ones from them on my Golden Hawk. Right side was available the left side was not. two totaly different animals.

The left side can be made out of 1/4" chicken wire.

OK I lied....I'll do it again for the "right" car, I love the chase.....
          It is an addiction!

Comment

I had Whitco make some stainless springs for my vent doors, he should still have the specs.

nate

--
            55 Commander Starlight
            --
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

it will take some digging but i might have another set of screens as well as vent doors. i will try and look tonight if i have time.

Erin Hays
              "From Stuck and Rusty to Slick steel and sex appeal"
              RZRECTD
              1961 Hawk
              1962 Lark
              1963 Wagonaire

Comment

quote:Originally posted by tempestan

Sorry ...I don't have copies of those spring drawings, but here is where I got my new springs back in April:

Good Luck!!!

<h4>Last Man Standing in Studebaker Indiana</h4>

Comment

I just got my vent door and screen from SA.I got a used door however it looks brand new! It just has paint on it. They also had springs(new) and I got a screen.I did not know it, the screen I needed has bolt holes on one side only.I can spray the screen with some of my silver bullit rust eliminator and it should be fine I also see how the preglued seals apply. This system is very important. Air ventilation is needed in a small cockpit of a hawk.

Studebakers forever!
                  Studebakers forever!

Comment

When I restored my '54 Hardtop and needed the vent door screens, the guy who sold me the one for the passenger side told me that an external screen wasn't used on the drivers side. Was he correct, or did he just say that since he didn't have the other one to sell me? Or was a drivers side screen used on later models? Just curious.

Dave Bonn
                    '54 Champion Starliner

Comment

I've had a few unmolested cars and none of them had an exterior screen on the drivers side. I can't say that's definitive.
                      Brad Johnson,
                      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

When I took apart my '53 there was only the inside moulded screen by the lever on the driver side. Passenger side has the flat one out on the fender under the vent door. I just looked through the parts book now and the illustration does NOT show a outer screen for the driver side, only one for the passenger side so I think he is correct. I have seen a car with the outer screen on the driver side but I think there are little tabs on the fender just like the passenger side so that one could be put there, but Studebaker never did from the factory. Since I had the book out, here are the relavant part numbers:

Driver side inside screen: 298669P
                        Passenger side outside screen: 285005P
                        Driver side spring: 287648
                        Passenger side spring: 290237

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

there is no screen on the driver's side, but there's nothing to stop you from adding one. Personally, I would, because leaving wet leaves etc. inside there can only rot the little clamshell housings. It is a direct bolt on, the tabs are present on both fenders.

nate

--
                          55 Commander Starlight
                          --
                          55 Commander Starlight
                          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I have stripped and rust proofed the vent doors I have also painted the screen(passenger side). I have them primed and ready to go back in the car, after the rods come back.

Studebakers forever!
                            Studebakers forever!

Comment

I think I can do something with the (driver's side screen) It is in good shape. just need some patching and paint. The rod on this side is in there and ok.easy fix!

Studebakers forever!
                              Studebakers forever!

Comment

Working...
                              X