Station Wagon Tribute Film

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Station Wagon Tribute Film

It will be interesting to see the film Wagonmasters these guys produced.

To be expected, I suppose, is a little historical nonsense and overreach, but fun commentary nonetheless:

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

I love wagons. I might have to get a copy.
    Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

sthttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sushsoe_dAo

It had roll-down windows in the doors, just like the regular Ford sedans but the hatch had a split opening. The wood-framed glass lifted up and the tail gate opened down. The spare was bolted to the tail gate and covered with a cloth or vinyl cover. This woody had 2 foglights in the front; one came on with the high beam and the other with low.

Jimmy is a year or 2 younger than I. We loved to sit in the 3rd

st

Loved that woody!!

John

Comment

The first station wagon we had was a 1970 Chevelle Greenbriar (CHEAP). It was a base car and the only options on it was the 307 V8, the automatic transmission and a push button AM radio. The rest was plain jane right down to the dog dish hub caps. My sister and I spent a lot of time on the floor in the 'way back' of that car. My mom learned. When that car went bye-bye, she got a '78 Ford Country Squire with the dual facing rear seats. The only options that car didn't have was power windows and power seat. As teenagers by that time, we didn't spend a lot of time in the back. I bought the car from her in 1985. That car rode so nice. Wish we had that one back.
        Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

The mini vans that replaced them will never be collectable like this baby! I love my Buick Sportwagon.

Brian Greenall
          Melbourne, OZ
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by packardHawk58 View Post
            The mini vans that replaced them will never be collectable like this baby! I love my Buick Sportwagon.

That's the truth, Brian. Did your Sportwagon come with that hood? Where was it built? I see that it is LHC and cars built for the Australian market were still RHC back then, weren't they? BP
            Last edited by BobPalma; 06-02-2013, 09:11 AM. Reason: OOPS: 'Needed to capitalize Brian's name!
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob
              Thanks for posting the piece on the wagons. I saw it as well on CBS This Morning Saturday. I emailed Anthony Mason to see if he wanted to do a follow up story & would volunteer my '64 SR wagon with 3rd seat! I'm only about an hour from NYC. I have yet to hear back. Rob in PA.

Comment

My dad had a few. the 57 & 59 Fords were ex U.S. Navy cars he bought from "Ebner's Garage" in Perth Amboy, N.J. The 57 was a 6 stick shift but the 59 had the Y-block V-8 & automatic. Both rattled like it was their last gasp of life but never let us down, regardless of the weather or conditions. I took the 59 once through the state inspection line. This thing looked so bad, like a refugee that escaped from the crusher. At each station the inspectors went over this car like it was their only one of the day. Finally, at the end of the line one slapped on the red sticker denoting "Failed", so I asked what failed? Without speaking the final inspector pointed to the slip of paper handed to me noting the "high beam indicator light" was inoperative. Sheeesh!

The other one was the Olds version like Brian's. The 3rd seat was over the rear end & one sat higher than the other 2 rows & had the additional view of the world through the extra windows for 270 degrees. I loved it. Smooth & comfortable with an air conditioner that kept up well, at least in the temps of New Jersey. It's a shame they only made those a few years. A great road car & looker too.
                59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                64 Zip Van
                66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Bob, I bought it in only a couple of years ago. I had intentions to buy a Olds Vista Cruiser like Warren must have had, mainly wanting the Vista roof deal not knowing that Buick built a version. Bought a 70 Olds Vista out of Canada and the guy just dicked me around to no end so the deal fell through. I looked at the Buicks and liked them better than the Olds so I located this baby up in Washington, one owner with all the documentation as well as the POP and build sheet. He also ordered it with the 400 BB engine as well, the car drives beautifully and probably is the only 400 Sportwagon in OZ. I couldn't resist finding a GS Ram Air hood and tack, although it took me 12 months to locate and buy one. 69 GS hood one year only and very rare.
                  Brian Greenall
                  Melbourne, OZ
                  sigpic

Comment

I learned to drive on my Dad's '64 Vista Cruiser. It was the first year and we thought it was awesome. Had the 330 but moved pretty well.

The video was good, but I disagree with one of their points that gas mileage helped kill station wagons. Wagons didn't really get much worse mileage than a sedan with the same size engine.

Comment

Here's my favorite 'Wagonmaster'....(as if four injected Buick engines weren't enough!)
                      Tom McCourey bought TV Tommy Ivo's old 'Showtime' exhibition dragster and re-bodied it with a Buick station wagon.
                      He later sold it back to Ivo, who ran it as a wagon for a while, and then restored it to the original 'Showboat' setup.
                      Jeff

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

For some reason that reminds me of the "Monkeemobile". If the show had been on longer and they had kids, who knows??????????????

Comment

Working...
                        X