Is Our Custom One of the Oldest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Our Custom One of the Oldest?

With the exception of extending the fins toward the cab, the custom work on our '53 was done in the 1953-56 period. Just wondering if anyone knows of a custom done before this time period. Note that I am not referring to just an older car, but work that was done before ours was done. I'm sure there must be some.
    Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
    jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Pix would help.
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Jim's Rod Shop: Restoring Vintage Cars and Hot Rods in Yuma, Arizona
      sigpic
      Dave Lester

Comment

Paintim... I REALLY dig this car. I love most of the customs using the 53 Coupes and Hardtops. Sometimes they miss the mark, but this one is cool. Do me just one little favor... Remove the grill and paint the back side of the grill area black. It would set off the chrome in the grill better. Sorry, just my opinion.
        sals54

Comment

I worked on some and knew of others in the 1953-56 time period, including some radical changes like sectioning and top removals. Pre-1953 would be too early for me. It would only be research, not personal experience in going back further.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

By your criteria, (so far) your cars custom work was completed before one of the forums most well known customs. THE UTE. Originally started/completed IIRC in 1958-59, by Lee Talbot. It attended the GNRS in 59 after many years, Dick Steinkamp found the car in 2008 IIRC and restored it to its former glory but in a different color in order to attend the 2009 GNRS anniversary show.

So...you may win, just strive for your cars place in forum history.

Take some time and Advance Search - The Ute. Or Talbot
            61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Schweet Schtudebaker!
              The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by 4961Studebaker View Post
                By your criteria, (so far) your cars custom work was completed before one of the forums most well known customs. THE UTE. Originally started/completed IIRC in 1958-59, by Lee Talbot. It attended the GNRS in 59 after many years, Dick Steinkamp found the car in 2008 IIRC and restored it to its former glory but in a different color in order to attend the 2009 GNRS anniversary show.

So...you may win, just strive for your cars place in forum history.

Take some time and Advance Search - The Ute. Or Talbot
                Our car isn't in the same class as the Kart Hauler (The UTE), or STU COOL, or Steve Hudson's convertible. Its history of being done by my wife's father and uncle well before she was born is what we cherish most.

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                  Paintim... I REALLY dig this car. I love most of the customs using the 53 Coupes and Hardtops. Sometimes they miss the mark, but this one is cool. Do me just one little favor... Remove the grill and paint the back side of the grill area black. It would set off the chrome in the grill better. Sorry, just my opinion.
                  Thanks for your suggestion. Personally, I wish we still had the original grill(s) leaving the hood as it was and no rear fins with just extended butter knife chrome pieces on the rear quarters. That way it would look more Stude than it now does. But we committed to honor the original custom work as much as possible and very reluctantly agreed to the fin extensions to lessen the abruptness of the raised trunk lid appearance. The trunk lid actually is an Oldsmobile hood. We did switch the hood ornament and wheel covers to help make it more obvious that it is a Studebaker. It resembles a '56 T-Bird but we have a picture of it in a parade in the summer of '56 dispelling any notion that it was customized to look like a '56 T-Bird. It could be argued that a '55 T-Bird with a continental kit added may have been part of the inspiration. Unfortunately, we will never know as my wife's dad and uncle, both now deceased, couldn't remember why they did what they did except that it was the thing to do at the time if you had a body shop. We certainly enjoy the car for the sentimental value and for the numerous conversations it starts.

Comment

Working...
                  X