Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So if Johnny Cash worked at a stude plant.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So if Johnny Cash worked at a stude plant.....

If Johnny Cash had worked at the studebaker plant in SB instead of the caddy plant in the song "one peice at a time" I'm guessing it would have looked a little like this http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/3751006208.html The sad part is I'm maybe gonna call the seller cause as mismatched as it is, if it's not too rusty and he'd come down a little more on price I might be interested in it. The bungie cord on the exaust kinda scares me, but otherwise looks to sound, that hawk trunk would have to go but otherwise..........

THern again if I was gonna drive out to cali it would be for one of Bob Ps cars.

Comment

I'd drive it. With a decent paint job it could be pretty cool. After the Hawk front end, the 55 is my next favorite on c/k cars.
      '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Originally posted by JimC View Post
        I'd drive it. With a decent paint job it could be pretty cool. After the Hawk front end, the 55 is my next favorite on c/k cars.
        Yeah I like the 53/54 better than the 55, and the hawk better than either but the 55' is awesone too I've seen them done a little on the muscle car side and they can really pull it off.

Comment

Pretty interesting; Hawk trunk lid, -55 grill, one -53 tail light & one -54 tail light... or am I blind?
          ...& uder the hood!
          ...wonder what the interior loox like.
          But if it was mine I would have it just like THAT!
          & just spray it black as it probably used to be
          ...cuz it's kinda the way the car has its history!
          & then folx would come up & say: "WOW! I remember this car from 1978"...

Now... that's because here in Sweden there's a -56 GH for sale that I took photos of in 1979 & guess what... it STILL loox EXACTLY the same!!!
          (& it's one of three -56 GH's sold here & one is long gone.)
          & I kinda fancy cars that stays around & is easy to spot, such as for example the Chicken Hawk among a very FEW others.

Comment

Impossible to tell from the photos, but is it possible to cut a '54 hood to mate with the '55 grille shell?

FWIW, you're eager to pull the trigger. I really, really wanted a Stude when I turned 16. A few weeks seemed like forever and I bought the first decent one I could afford - a '56 Flight Hawk for $350. Worst decision I ever made and I should have waited for a good V8. A '56 Sky Hawk turned up soon afterward, but my parents made me stay in the Flight Hawk as a lesson in having patience. Might have saved my life, as there was no point in racing anyone in the Turtle Hawk.

Bottom line - there are many, many good Studes still out there. Look at many, buy only the best one. Shipping isn't really expensive for the right car.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

I don't see any problem with it. The hood and grille was probably cheaper than the 54 side grilles.

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                Impossible to tell from the photos, but is it possible to cut a '54 hood to mate with the '55 grille shell?

FWIW, you're eager to pull the trigger. I really, really wanted a Stude when I turned 16. A few weeks seemed like forever and I bought the first decent one I could afford - a '56 Flight Hawk for $350. Worst decision I ever made and I should have waited for a good V8. A '56 Sky Hawk turned up soon afterward, but my parents made me stay in the Flight Hawk as a lesson in having patience. Might have saved my life, as there was no point in racing anyone in the Turtle Hawk.

Bottom line - there are many, many good Studes still out there. Look at many, buy only the best one. Shipping isn't really expensive for the right car.

jack vines
                I know of much nicer cars that Bob P. has out in that far away and I'd rather go that route, he'd have to let this thing go cheap before I bought it.

Comment

What's the big deal? My black car is a 56,57 60,62,63 Automobile! some folks even stick Chevy engines in'em.
                  Neil Thornton

Comment

Originally posted by rockinhawk View Post
                    What's the big deal? My black car is a 56,57 60,62,63 Automobile! some folks even stick Chevy engines in'em.
                    Can you break down which is which as far as mis matched parts go?

Comment

Originally posted by GThawkwind View Post
                      Can you break down which is which as far as mis matched parts go?
                      Fender lights,grille and side grilles are 56. R door,tail fins,trim,trunk lid and seats are 57. body shell, frame,L door,R front fender and hood are 60. Door panels are 61. L front fender is 62,engine and trans are 63. Registration papers are 57.
                      That's just off the top of my head. I've been swapping parts on that car since 1979.

P.S. Almost forgot. rear bumper is 55.
                      Neil Thornton

Comment

Reminds me of my 62,63,64 GT Hawk I put together from three or four Doners from the local UPick.
                        Love the Johny Cash song!
                        sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                        Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                        "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Originally posted by rockinhawk View Post
                          Fender lights,grille and side grilles are 56. R door,tail fins,trim,trunk lid and seats are 57. body shell, frame,L door,R front fender and hood are 60. Door panels are 61. L front fender is 62,engine and trans are 63. Registration papers are 57.
                          That's just off the top of my head. I've been swapping parts on that car since 1979.

P.S. Almost forgot. rear bumper is 55.
                          Wow Neil, I'm impressed! Looks pretty good for as miss matched as it is, you should get some good pics of her up here some time.

Comment

Working...
                          X