dyno

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dyno

My 37 president has never ran right since I finished it a year ago. After testing or replacing most everything it was decided the problem was most likely in the duel point distributor. I learned of a guy right down the road who has a chasis dyno, while he does mainly race and high performance cars, he has done an occasional antique car. Pulling into his shop I was immediately impressed with all the instruments and gages. Turns out the problem was indeed in the distributor but everything was tested and adjusted.. He keep telling me to rev it higher but I kept explaining how I just didn't trust the rods, but we did run it up to 70mph in OD. It made 52 HP at1850 rpm along with 366 ft-lbs of torque, it was mentioned that a Hudson Hornet he recently tested only made 58 HP and if I had been willing to wind it harder the numbers might have been better. Amazingly the Air Fuel Ratio was in the 13's,and would easily pass emission tests. He spent 3 hrs with who knows how much of an investment in equipment and charged only $100, but more importantly my car now runs like a top.

Sounds like the stars are aligned for you, Jerry. This was also your thirty-seventh post to the forum.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

impressive torque, very cool...dyno pull on a 37 Stude. please educate me here, is it an I6 or I8, and what's the CID? cheers, junior.
      sigpic
      1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Big or small, old or new, if it runs on an internal combustion engine or can make those rubber rollers on the treadmill spin, well that's what all that fancy equipment's there for!
        1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
        1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
        1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
        1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Engine is a stock straight 8 250 ci bored .030 with a two barrel carb. Rear gears are 4.55 with 7.oo 16 tires. Should have clarified the readings were at the rear wheels. The factory rated the motor at flywheel as 115 hp @3600 rpm's. As I said the operator keep telling me to hold it to the floor but the max rpm's reached was only 3200. My goal is to drive it up Pikes Peak at international meet.

Comment

Yes, chassis dynos are indeed miracle machines for perfecting a tuneup.

It made 52 HP at1850 rpm along with 366 ft-lbs of torque,
            That torque number isn't mathematically possible. Maybe check your dyno sheet again for a typo.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

Jack, Is 266 possible for torque numders. I won't be able to double check numbers until sometime next week. Jerry Kurtz

Comment

Originally posted by jerezstude View Post
                Jack, Is 266 possible for torque numders. I won't be able to double check numbers until sometime next week. Jerry Kurtz
                No, 266 doesn't work either.

The formula is: so torque would be 147 lbs/ft.

jack vines
                PackardV8

Comment

something seriously wrong with the Hornet engine (308-6cyl) if that was the best it did.
                  64 Champ long bed V8
                  55/53 Studebaker President S/R
                  53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

HP has always been the first suspect in dyno numbers. Torque is the only directly measurable force with HP being always calculated using formulae. Yes, some folks say since you can solve for one you can solve for the other, but there is no way to arrive at a HP without calculation using directly measured torque.
                    Jim
                    Often in error, never in doubt
                    http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X