Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Stromberg rear air entry 2-bbl

Greetings, All,

Would appreciate a shout from anyone having an extra Stromberg 2-bbl with the right angle air intake. These were used on the early V8s at least up through 1956. Please contact me off list at PackardV8@comcast.net.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
    PackardV8

Thru 58 on sedans. Jack, there's some serious difference to CFMs between early ones and later ones. What' it for?[?]

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thru 58 on sedans. Jack, there's some serious difference to CFMs between early ones and later ones. What' it for?[?]

Miscreant adrift in
      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

These are not back draft, or side draft, carb's. They are down draft carb's. that simply have a right angle air horn attached to the top.

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

These are not back draft, or side draft, carb's. They are down draft carb's. that simply have a right angle air horn attached to the top.

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Ahh, yeah Gary, but we knew what he meant by it. Would it have been more specific if he'd asked for a downdraft???[)]

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Ahh, yeah Gary, but we knew what he meant by it. Would it have been more specific if he'd asked for a downdraft???[)]

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Jack,
                I have a couple and, I see from your profile you live in U.S.A. That's real close to me.
                Like Bob said, what's it for? 232, 259, 289?
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Jack,
                  I have a couple and, I see from your profile you live in U.S.A. That's real close to me.
                  Like Bob said, what's it for? 232, 259, 289?
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Greetings, All,

Thanks for the interest. I found an old Spenser aluminum intake which mounts four 2-bbl carbs and I want to try it on a strong 299" I am building. It looks like the 50s all over again. Standard Surplus Company (before they became SASCO) sold them for $69.50 back in the day. Four AAV Strombergs went $38.50. They were available in 1 3/16" or 1 7/16". For some reason, the WW Strombergs were $15.95 each, vs $9.95 for the AAV. The Carter WCFB 4-bbl was $25.00.

The one rear-facing inlet Stromberg carb I have is from a '56 259". Biggs, can you post a list of the CFM of this and other years? Wouldn't want to mix 'em up too much.

thnx, jv.

PackardV8
                    PackardV8

Comment

Greetings, All,

Thanks for the interest. I found an old Spenser aluminum intake which mounts four 2-bbl carbs and I want to try it on a strong 299" I am building. It looks like the 50s all over again. Standard Surplus Company (before they became SASCO) sold them for $69.50 back in the day. Four AAV Strombergs went $38.50. They were available in 1 3/16" or 1 7/16". For some reason, the WW Strombergs were $15.95 each, vs $9.95 for the AAV. The Carter WCFB 4-bbl was $25.00.

The one rear-facing inlet Stromberg carb I have is from a '56 259". Biggs, can you post a list of the CFM of this and other years? Wouldn't want to mix 'em up too much.

thnx, jv.

PackardV8
                      PackardV8

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Miscreant adrift in
                        the BerStuda Triangle

Yes, Bob/MrBiggs, you and I and many others knew what he was referring to and I did see your smile face. As you know, I work to keep Studebaker history/facts correct. There may be new people that would think that Studebakers used a backdraft carb. in the '50s or that the carb with the right angle, rear facing, inlet is actually a back draft carb.

Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Miscreant adrift in
                          the BerStuda Triangle

Yes, Bob/MrBiggs, you and I and many others knew what he was referring to and I did see your smile face. As you know, I work to keep Studebaker history/facts correct. There may be new people that would think that Studebakers used a backdraft carb. in the '50s or that the carb with the right angle, rear facing, inlet is actually a back draft carb.

Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Hi, Gary,

Technically speaking, what would be a backdraft carburetor? There are downdrafts, sidedrafts and updrafts, but AFAIK, no backdrafts. I just used it as a shorthand notation for "Stromberg WW 2-bbl downdraft carburetor with a rear-facing air inlet as original equipment on mid-1950s Studebaker V8s."

jv.

PackardV8
                            PackardV8

Comment

Hi, Gary,

Technically speaking, what would be a backdraft carburetor? There are downdrafts, sidedrafts and updrafts, but AFAIK, no backdrafts. I just used it as a shorthand notation for "Stromberg WW 2-bbl downdraft carburetor with a rear-facing air inlet as original equipment on mid-1950s Studebaker V8s."

jv.

PackardV8
                              PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                              X