• 1955 Champion - New forum member

Hey all,

My name is Alejandro and this is my 1955 Studebaker Champion
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2170.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	1738809

My great grandfather was the original owner and the car has now found itself in my hands to fix up. I'm in south florida and would like to know if there are any shops arounds here that I could take the car to to get some of the major work done. It was sitting for about 20 years in a warehouse in Colombia, where it was only turned on about once every year for a few minutes. I recently bought a kit to fix up the carburator, so I replaced the gaskets, the needle, adjusted the float, etc. Interior-wise, it is perfect; the upholstery is as new. In 1970, the engine was replaced, restamped with the same motor number, and I have all documentation of it with original papers.

Any and all information and help to get this Champion back on the road is welcomed and appreciated.

Alejandro

Welcome Alejandron, This is the place to be if you own a Stude. I sure there are many members in Florida happy to help you and they will have questions about your car. I have one and that is what motor is in your car now as you say it was changed in 1970.

Mark

Comment

Mark,

According to the paperwork, the same, inline 6 cylinder engine went in. Engine number 1162617.

Alejandro
      Last edited by Alejo; 05-25-2013, 01:13 PM.

Comment

I also want to mention that the carburetor on the car is the one for the later model. It is the 2417S carb, as opposed to the 2108S, or at least that what the metal marker on the carb says.

Comment

Nice indeed!!! (...I've got a soft spot for 53-55 sedans.)
          My Josephine is just like yours exept for the color-cheme & the fact that I'm "Moparising" her 'cause of lack of Studebaker-parts for reasonable prices in Europe, & I'm poor & slightly race-inspired since birth...
          I would really want to see more pictures, such as interior & engine & stuff!
          You can see my car on the Racing Studebaker's site.
          Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by Nox View Post
            Nice indeed!!! (...I've got a soft spot for 53-55 sedans.)
            My Josephine is just like yours exept for the color-cheme & the fact that I'm "Moparising" her 'cause of lack of Studebaker-parts for reasonable prices in Europe, & I'm poor & slightly race-inspired since birth...
            I would really want to see more pictures, such as interior & engine & stuff!
            You can see my car on the Racing Studebaker's site.
            Welcome!
            Thank you for the Welcome!

I'll be sure to get some pictures of the interior, exterior, engine bay, etc. I've been looking around the forum searching for different things I can do myself to get the car moving so that I could at least get it out of the garage where I am keeping it. So far I know I need the tires for it, along with the puller tool. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'd like the same style tires (wide white walls), with the large caps. Is it possible to keep the stock rims? might be a stupid question but from what I have found, they are sold together rather than just the tires.

Comment

welcome to the forum, Alejandro!

if your wheels are ok - not bent or other damage, you should be fine in replacing the tires. there are several classic car tire vendors that can provide whatever tires you want to go with. the largest is "Coker Tires". look up "classic car tire dealers" on google, and you'll find many! not only the original type bias ply but also radial tires with the white sidewalls you are looking for.
              Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Where in So Florida are you? I am in Jupiter and might be of some help. My e-mail is doublepaddle@gmx.com. Send me some info. Dave M

Comment

Cool car my friend!!! Looks VERY solid. My suggestion for tires is a company called Diamondback Tires. I've had great luck with them. They use modern tires from about any manufacturer you want and they apply the white wall. The tires have all the modern technology with the old wide white wall look. Their website is dbtires.com. Good luck with your project and keep sending pictures. OH YEAH....WELCOME

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Nice car. If you post the info on the tag on the firewall, I bet that car has an interesting history. Good luck and keep us posted.
                    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Go to the SDC home page. In the lefthand column you will find local chapters (I think there are 3 in Florida) with phone numbers or e-mail addresses. There are probably a few in your area that are not forum regulars.

Comment

Go to the SDC home page. In the lefthand column you will find local chapters (I think there are 3 in Florida) with phone numbers or e-mail addresses. There are probably a few in your area that are not forum regulars. Welcome to the forum. Oops, sorry about the double posts.

Comment

Welcome to the forum...and, forum members, note that it is an Ultra-Vista Champion! 'Wonder when it was built. BP
                          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Great looking car Alejandro! Welcome.
                            Dave Nevin
                            Corvallis, OR
                            1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
                            Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                              Welcome to the forum...and, forum members, note that it is an Ultra-Vista Champion! 'Wonder when it was built. BP
                              Thank you all for the Welcome and for the help on the tires.

May I ask, what is an Ultra-Vista Champion? Could you please give me more information on this?

Comment

Working...
                              X