1963 lark daytona convertible r2 package super lark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1963 lark daytona convertible r2 package super lark

Of the (5) 63 Lark Daytona R2 package Super Larks that were built, how many survivors are there?
    THANKS

There's no way of knowing for sure, Paul, and you have to specify what you mean by survivor.

The Whistler, the 1963 R2 Lark Regal campaigned by Ray Tanner Motors and recently discussed here on the forum in length, is an excellent example of two things:

1. Suppose that a year ago someone had asked, "How many factory R2-powered Lark Regal 2-doors survive?" Well, nobody knew where The Whistler was, or that it was even extant, so if a number had been given last year, it would have been "off" by at least one; The Whistler.

2. By defining survive, do you mean, simply, "can be accounted for?" The Whistler survives but is in just about the poorest imaginable condition right now. So does it count as a "survivor," or must a survivor have its original drivetrain intact? Must a survivor be registered? Must a survivor be operational?

Lots of questions before yours could be answered, so unless we can document all five serial nunbers as positively existing somewhere, there's no way to know how many "survive." One of them might turn up today that was previously unknown, or an unknown one might be getting crushed in a massive old-car salvage yard cleanup right now, even as I type.

(BTW; in my opinion, The Whistler, as it exists right now, is indeed a survivor.) BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Basically, I mean't "how many can be accounted for". According to the SDC Turning Wheel's article in February, 1999 there were only 5 convertible R2 package cars built. Thanks for the response

Comment

According to this, which was published 13 years ago, there were two accounted for; one painted Super Red: http://www.studebaker-info.org/JTN/JTNEWS/jtn13.htm

Craig

Comment

I know of a local car here in the Sacramento area (Woodland, actually) ,in which there survives a 63 R2 4 speed Lark Daytona Convertible. It's a beautiful car which I tried buying it several times to no avail.
          sals54

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
            I know of a local car here in the Sacramento area (Woodland, actually) ,in which there survives a 63 R2 4 speed Lark Daytona Convertible.
            You just described my dream car! At least I know now that such a car exists.
            sigpic
            In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I have 2 non package R2 4 speed Daytona's.
              Jack White
              Charlotte,NC
              North Carolina Studebaker Drivers Club

Comment

The 63 convertible in woodland is a non package R2 4spd.
                StudeRick & Johna
                Sacramento CA

1964 GT Hawk, 1963 GT Hawk, 1962 GT Hawk
                1957 Silver Hawk
                1963 Avanti
                1961 Lark Wagon
                1963 Lark Daytona

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                  (BTW; in my opinion, The Whistler, as it exists right now, is indeed a survivor.) BP
                  I've seen the The Whistler and I'd say after looking at several other Studebaker, it is a survivor. Each week Lucky John finds more parts for it, it may be a complete car by Christmas!

You mentioned the crusher of the junk yard taking its toll on cars, but just time, they elements and neglect will eventually eat away at the cars, even in Sunny Arizona!..

I am shocked at the number of R cars that are not "Full Package," or R Station Wagons with bench seats.

Bob, I've read some of your other post, as well as letters written to Studebaker, and it seems like you were really there during the time of the R birth with some interesting insight.

Couple of questions:

What defines a Package R car?

The Whistler was an R2 with a 4 speed.. Is that a package car even if it did not have a 160 mph speedometer or traction bars? My understanding is the Speedo and Traction Bars were not available until mid 63.

Second, during that time, did people know they were buying a "Muscle Car," or did the just want a Station Wagon that could climb up a mountain faster on a family vacation?

Take care!
                  Last edited by SScopelli; 05-24-2013, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bamajak View Post
                    I have 2 non package R2 4 speed Daytona's.
                    Are both of them convertibles?
                    sigpic
                    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by SScopelli View Post
                      I've seen the The Whistler and I'd say after looking at several other Studebaker, it is a survivor. Each week Lucky John finds more parts for it, it may be a complete car by Christmas!

You mentioned the crusher of the junk yard taking its toll on cars, but just time, they elements and neglect will eventually eat away at the cars, even in Sunny Arizona!..

I am shocked at the number of R cars that are not "Full Package," or R Station Wagons with bench seats.

Bob, I've read some of your other post, as well as letters written to Studebaker, and it seems like you were really there during the time of the R birth with some interesting insight.

Couple of questions:

What defines a Package R car?

The Whistler was an R2 with a 4 speed.. Is that a package car even if it did not have a 160 mph speedometer or traction bars? My understanding is the Speedo and Traction Bars were not available until mid 63.

Second, during that time, did people know they were buying a "Muscle Car," or did the just want a Station Wagon that could climb up a mountain faster on a family vacation?

Take care!
                      Sebastian: If you are fairly new to all this, spend the money and buy a back issue of the February 2009 Collectible Automobile magazine. Thety are still available; check their website for ordering particulars.

Therein is is my 10-page, full-color, feature article: High-Performance Studebakers of the 50s and 60s. It will answer all your questions and more.

The reason there are so many non-package cars running around is that the full package was not in regular production until roughly April 1, 1963. Dealer Sales Letters #147 and 148, dated March 19, 1963, announced the approaching availability. Obviously, hundreds of 1963 model year R-engine cars had already been built by that time, with a variety of transmisisons and options.

Yes, I have been at this from the get-go. In fact, I learned a few years ago that the Production Order for the very first full-package Super Lark was written on my 17th birthday: February 11, 1963! It was built to be sent out for press review, Bonneville promotional stuff, and such. It survives and was never particularly rusty. It received the most thorough, extensive, accurate restoration you can imagine several years ago and is now in the Pacific NW, IIRC. BP
                      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Did you ever confirm if this one was a 'gennie', Bob? http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ight=superlark

Craig

Comment

I learned a few years ago that the Production Order for the very first full-package Super Lark was written on my 17th birthday: February 11, 1963! It was built to be sent out for press review, Bonneville promotional stuff, and such. It survives and was never particularly rusty. It received the most thorough, extensive, accurate restoration you can imagine several years ago and is now in the Pacific NW, IIRC. BP
                          The amazing Mr. Bell posted that here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ghlight=ermine

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                            Did you ever confirm if this one was a 'gennie', Bob? http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ight=superlark

Craig
                            Craig, did you mean 63V26689? If so, we mentioned in Post #30 to that thread, that it was not a full-package car. BP

Comment

Craig, did you mean 63V26689? If so, we mentioned in Post #30 to that thread, that it was not a full-package car.
                              And so it ain't! I was also going by the photo of it in the September, 1988 TW inside cover, and the note on page 10, didn't clarify whether it was a package car or not, either.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X