Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windlace for 57 HT - Do you need the extra strip on this model?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: Windlace for 57 HT - Do you need the extra strip on this model?

I ordered carpets, headliner and windlace from Automotive Interriors which all just arrive - fantastic quality and price however just as everyone here says on "some" models you need to sew in the extra inch of material to reach the hooks, well I'm curious if the Hawks are not part of the "some models"?
    The Studebaker Intl site leads one to believe it's only the larks which need the strip as they sell a windlace for those years.

I can see that the small tab on the windlace I ordered which is about 1/2 inch will reach the very tip of the tabs but doing so has the rounded area angled on at a 45 degree angle from the sheetmetal (door) edge.. Is that how it was supposed to be or should the windlace be totally flush to compress against the door??
    My car was stripped out so I was never able to see how it was done and here in South Dakota there are too few Hawks to compare!!

I appreciate your comments! Thanks.
    2-more weeks and the Hawk will be on the road!
    Attached Files

It should press against the door when it is closed. Its purpose, besides being attractive, is to stop any air that may get past the rubber weatherstrip.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

This Hawk is NOT a Hardtop, it is a "C" Body Coupe, the windlace and parts will be completely different between the C & K Models, it is possible that you may have some wrong length windlace, check the length.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hammond,

Yes, the Hawk will need the extra strip added also. Here are a few pics of the windlace on my '54 sedan, but very similar to the C-body Hawk.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20121021-00246[1].jpg
Views:	2
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	1680090Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01883.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	1680091
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
        Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

My fault on the typo, yes I have a coupe. I was in a hurry to get home typing...
          Thanks Paul. That makes it all clear now. I will stop by Joanne fabrics or Hancock with a photo of this to see if they have this material. Looks like canvas or something., My windlace is the exact color. Nice work!!
          Ok - we will get her done this weekend!

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
            Hammond,

Yes, the Hawk will need the extra strip added also. Here are a few pics of the windlace on my '54 sedan, but very similar to the C-body Hawk.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24004[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]24005[/ATTACH]
            Paul,
            In all the years I've seen this discussed (here and in T/W) that's the FIRST clear picture of it installed I've seen. Many, many thanks.
            KURTRUK
            (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

I have more pics but those two pretty much say it all.

Hammond, what I used for the 'tab' was sort of like a light canvas type of material. Basically we went to the big chain fabric store in town (Hancock Fabric) and looked around until we found something we thought would work. Originally went looking for a denim material about the weight of blue jeans, but couldn't find any that heavy. What the pictures don't show well is that the added fabric is actually folded (doubled) over. The windlace that I used had a 'double' attachment tab on it (ie, the part that you don't see when installed, so I sandwiched the new tab between these two. I tried it both ways, putting the 'closed end' down in between the two tab pieces of the windlace, and putting the open end down in between the two tab pieices. It worked better for me having the folded (closed) end out, but it was a little harder to sew. (This was my first experience at using a sewing machine, not hard just takes some practice). I did pick out some of the heavier thread that they had. Since I've done mine, I saw where someone recommended using a polyester thread so it wouldn't rot.......don't think what I used was polyester but should last a long time.

While installing, I ended up cutting small slits in the sewn on windlace tab (using a utility knife) to insert the windlace retainer 'teeth' through. You will need to bend the retainer teeth up slightly before putting the windlace under it; once the windlace was positioned, I took a brass bar and a small hammer and hit the tip of the retainer tooth to tighten it down onto the windlace.

Since I'm pretty anal, I also used an adhesive under the windlace tab to make sure it never works its way out from under the retainer teeth. This is probably not a requirement, but it made me feel better

It's really not hard, just take your time, especially on the curved areas.
              Paul
              Winston-Salem, NC
              Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
              Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Working...
              X