1952 Stedebaker Champion Regal, Help Decode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1952 Stedebaker Champion Regal, Help Decode

Hello everyone, thanks for looking. I just purchased a 1952 Champion, total barnyard find. Owner hasn't touched it in 25 years and its all complete, minus some of the floorboard from rust....not much... He had no info or paperwork on this vehicle. So I have all these numbers all over the car I need help decodeing so I can get parts and what nots for the vehicle. Thanks in advance for all your help. Serial number: G1139373 , Code on engine by distributor: 524307-13 and code in engine compartment on a tag: 12G - W56517. I'll post pics soon!!

12G says it's a 1952 Champion. W5 says it's a 4-door with Regal trim level. 6517 means it's the 6,517th 12G-W5 body tub that was welded up. G1139373 reveals it is a South Bend built example - the 23,872nd 1952 Champion built in South Bend
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

On the upper left hand corner of the block, just below the head is a machined pad with some numbers stamped into it. This is the engine's serial no. The only thing it's good for is determining exactly what engine it is and if it is the original. For that you will need the 'build sheet' available from the Studebaker Museum in South Bend, Ind.

Comment

Thanks for the replies! I will look for the engine number. I think its a flathead 6cyl. Not sure how many versions they made.

Comment

In the 1952 cars, they made one version of the six and one version of the V-8. Your Champion has the flat head six and the serial number will tell if is a 52 engine or not.
          Last edited by RadioRoy; 05-24-2013, 12:58 PM.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

This is the engine number? 938190
            Attached Files

Comment

Hope these post
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by auto383 View Post
                This is the engine number? 938190
                Yep! That's it.
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by auto383 View Post
                  Hope these post
                  That's the Champion six (170cu.in.) - the only six you could get in a Stude car in '1952. There WAS a larger six, but after 1950 it was relegated to truck duty.

Comment

hope this post. here is a pic!

Comment

Working...
                    X