Stewed Tomato? NOPE - Angry Orange!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stewed Tomato? NOPE - Angry Orange!

James Maxie III in his 63 with its new straight pipe exhaust in The River Park Parade. Trust me,you now hear James before you see him
    Attached Files

Looks good. Now it sounds good too? Nice car. Way to fly the flag!
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Sweet. Cool color and wheels...American TT's look awesome on any 50-60's studes.
      sigpic
      1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Slick car. I have some pictures of it saved to my Lark file.
        Does it sound good or just loud? Some have told me that a Studebaker V-8 is not excessively loud without a muffler, but I find it hard to believe. There are some very annoying brand X vehicles around here that are loud, but sound terrible.
        "In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

What sounds good is subjective. I like it,but I don't have to live with it. It is loud. The compression from his supercharger really makes it known when he is on the go pedal. My car is also loud when accelerating under boost and I have "mufflers",if you can call Flow Master "Hush Power" mufflers mufflers. Not quite as loud as the Thrush old school steel packs I used to have,but I have scared more than one person romping it if they don't see me first! Engines with more compression or under boost just sound louder / better to me than your average low compression motor.

Comment

If you view this video you can hear the supercharger till my car gets even with the camera man then you hear the pipes. I never hear the blower whine inside because all I can hear is the exhaust,and its a full 2.5 all the way out the back.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sSt01D5dk4

Comment

I need a video of James' car (hint hint James)

Comment

Very nice. Just in time for the summer driving season. Get out and enjoy that puppy.
                Ed Sallia
                Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Some have told me that a Studebaker V-8 is not excessively loud without a muffler, but I find it hard to believe.Some have told me that a Studebaker V-8 is not excessively loud without a muffler, but I find it hard to believe.
                  Depends upon one's frame of reference. With guys coming to shows driving unmuffled blown 450" big blocks, a Stude isn't very loud.

Getting the right sound is a matter of perspective and personal tolerance. When I hear a '67 Corvette with side pipes go by, it sounds great. If I had to drive a coupe across country to get it free, I'd decline. Inside on the interstate is torture after an hour.

OT but interesting, the EU has very strict drive-by noise regulations. New cars, even with 500hp are dead quiet. Because some owners like to hear what their $100k bought, BMW and others have recorded less muffled exhaust sound and stored it on a hard drive in the car audio system. When the driver puts his foot in it, he hears the recording and those outside hear nothing! It is possible to have the dealer delete the programming if the guy in the back seat of a chauffer-driven car wants to make cellular phone calls.

Some Asian car makers run a tube from the intake tract into the passenger compartment with a flapper valve, so when the throttle is opened, the roar the driver/passengers hear is actually the intake.

Bottom line - most every Stude V8 sounds great, but different, depending upon pipe diameter, type of muffler, whether there is an H-pipe or X-pipe crossover, and as mentioned, how much compression/supercharger and the cam used and the rear axle ratio.

jack vines
                  PackardV8

Comment

When I saw the title I thought instead of Stewed Tomato it would be Angry Bird.

I think that'd be a great contemporary name for a Lark gasser.

Comment

Originally posted by LeoH View Post
                      When I saw the title I thought instead of Stewed Tomato it would be Angry Bird.

I think that'd be a great contemporary name for a Lark gasser.
                      I vote for Angry Bird. Perfect!
                      Ed Sallia
                      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

I can relate to what Jack said. I was in Japan in '81. Exiting a hotel with a hangover and a truck goes by. All I heard was pft,pft,pft. Everything was whisper quiet and I thought it was so polite. Then I saw people on street corners staring at nothing with cell phones to their ears and I thought: that's never gonna happen back home....Doh!
                        Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Wow !! AKAchamptrucking, that video looks and sounds great ! As for the sounds of Studebakers, the Avanti we had used the small glass pack mufflers and sounded gorgeous to us, but the best sounding one I ever heard was a finned Hawk at the Union Hill drag races during a Studebaker meet several years back. It had the engine bored out to 304 ( I think that's what he said ) and side exit exhausts. Made the PRETTY'IST noise, but wasn't overly loud. It sounded deeper toned than our car. Ran a low 9. something if I remember right, (that's in the 1/8th mile). Ours ran in the 10.2 to 10.6 range normally. My wife beat a 396 Chevelle on one of her runs, and forgot to shift out of low range, ha ! ( her speed was 60 something, still have the timing sheets somewhere ) She obviously got a good jump on him, but was thrilled and embarrassed at the same time. Yours sure looks strong, love it!

Comment

After romping on it during the parade and makeing babys cry, James put mufflers on it.
                            Last edited by DieselJim; 05-23-2013, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Yep, from the video, it's got an Eaton....and it sounds nice and angry alright!!
                              1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                              1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                              1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                              1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Working...
                              X