Is This a Mock-up for the Lark?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is This a Mock-up for the Lark?

I do not think I have seen this picture before. I tried searching for it here but came up with nothing.

Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

The RR corner look familiar! I'd like to see that 58 hardtop with the Hawk fin treatment!
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Also, notice the non-wraparound windshield. The rear fender line over the wheelwell looks like a '64 Rambler American!
      Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
      \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

Name scripts almost look to say Champion.
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

In my opinion it would've looked a bit Ford-ish if that left rear corner-style would've been put in production.

Comment

I believe this photo like most of this type was taken in the engineering building.

Comment

The Right Rear Fender corner and rear Panel looks pretty much like the '59 ended up.

However that Left Rear Fender lower and rear Panel corner is the same design that ironically ended up on the future Cars -'62 to '66!

Lots of interesting features; the '57 Sedan like Tail Lights, the '56 Wheel Covers and the '53-early '55 Sedan Windshield.

I too think the '58 Starlight Hardtop styling concept Car has an interesting '59 -'61 Hawk Fin design.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

62 thru 66 has a higher wheel opening
                Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                The Right Rear Fender corner and rear Panel looks pretty much like the '59 ended up.

However that Left Rear Fender lower and rear Panel corner is the same design that ironically ended up on the future Cars -'62 to '66!

Lots of interesting features; the '57 Sedan like Tail Lights, the '56 Wheel Covers and the '53-early '55 Sedan Windshield.

I too think the '58 Starlight Hardtop styling concept Car has an interesting '59 -'61 Hawk Fin design.
                sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

That pic was probably taken in late '56 or in '57.
                  Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                  1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Neat concept mock up.

And yes the picture was in Turning Wheels within the past year. IIRC the dash was to be a 53 but we know how the final product turned out.
                    61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Swifster View Post
                      That pic was probably taken in late '56 or in '57.
                      And at 1:20 PM.
                      KURTRUK
                      (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

If you blow it up to 400%, the left trunk/tail area doesn't look real. Air-brushed, cut-and-paste? The vertical trunk panel just doesn't join or blend with the right side which we know is real.

EDIT: Yes, the more I look at it enlarged, the more I see drawn in. The C-pillar and the rear line of the rear door are pencilled-in.
                        Last edited by kurtruk; 05-22-2013, 07:51 PM.
                        KURTRUK
                        (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

I would like to see more of the Starlight hardtop. The fin treatment, in my opinion, makes a world of difference for the better although I would like to see what front end and taillight treatment was being proposed.

Comment

In a 1972 edition of Automobile Quarterly there is a good write-up about how the Studebaker engineering department did full size clay models that had two different concepts. One on each side like this. This appears to be a steel mockup.
                            Ed Sallia
                            Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Interesting. Until I enlarged the picture, I didn't realise that this was one of the mock-ups with each side different. The right rear treatment is much like the production 59 Lark.
                              "In the heart of Arkansas."
                              Searcy, Arkansas
                              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                              1952 2R pickup

Comment

Working...
                              X