Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turner Brakes - installer recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turner Brakes - installer recommendations?

I would like to add the Turner Brake disc kit to my '51 Land Cruiser. Any recommendations as to a reliable person to hire in the St. Paul/Mpls area to do the actual installation work?

It's bolt on. Any garage you trust to do brakes on a car should be able to do it. If you are changing from single to dual master cylinder, or under floor to hanging pedals, that might reqjuire more than a brake technician. it is also my undserstanding that if your installer has a problem, Jim Turner is always available by phone to help. Ask Brent (Milaca on the forum), or Bob Petersen (C&BStudebakers), both good Minnesota folk, for a mechanic they trust.
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Would this also apply to installing disc brakes to a 1/2 ton Camp truck?
      Ed Sallia
      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Make sure the offset in your wheels is correct to clear the caliper. You don't want to do this work and find that your wheels don't turn because they interfere with the disc brake calipers. Do your homework before you start. Nothing is worse to find you have it all complete only to have your car stuck on someone's lift for a few days while you are out shopping for new wheels.

Turner Disc Brakes require 1 1/16 or 1 1/8" master cylinder bore size to work properly. Disc Brakes take up much more brake fluid so you don't want to empty your master or find your foot on the floor.

I just completed doing my Turner brakes on my 1963 Lark project last weekend. The installation it took a few hours even when I had the brakes all apart on bare spindles. Make sure you hand the technician RED Loctite thread lock available at any FLAPS.

I thought I had the correct wheels to clear only to find I need a small spacer for the caliper to clear.

Best of luck,

Allen
        Last edited by studebaker-R2-4-me; 05-22-2013, 10:48 AM.
        1964 GT Hawk
        PSMCDR 2014
        Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
        PSMCDR 2013
        Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Can the Turner brake conversion to front discs be performed on a '56 Hawk that already has power brakes (Hydrovac booster) and if so, can the brake system also be converted to accept a dual master cylinder? I think the later may not be easy to accomplish but I'm not sure.

Comment

Picture taken from Turners Web Site..

You may not need the Boost!

From Bob Johnstones site. it talks about the Hydrovac and dual master.. See (17) and (18)

Last edited by SScopelli; 05-23-2013, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X