Who made the Champ's 5-speed trans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who made the Champ's 5-speed trans?

I mentioned on another forum that it was exclusive to Champ, and someone asked me who made it. I don't have a clue.

Thanks.
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

My 50 has a 3 spd. What year has a 5 speed? thanks

Comment

I mean the Champ pickup truck's 5-speed.
      Bill Pressler
      Kent, OH
      All are in Australia now

Comment

Champ pick up 5 speed transmissions were supplied by New Process - direct 4th, overdrive 5th.

Comment

Actually 2 New Process 5spds I think. One 5th OD, and the other 5th direct.
          There should be a plate showing the shift pattern riveted to the dash.

Comment

I believe the direct 5th versions were used in the larger trucks, not Champ pick ups.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
              I believe the direct 5th versions were used in the larger trucks, not Champ pick ups.
              Correct the New Process 5 spd. O/D transmissions were available on the 7E and 8E series Champs for certain, they may have also been available on the 6E models. Note that the gear ratios were slightly different than on the 5 spd. OD transmission used on the 1 - 2 ton Transtars/Diesels. There is also one recorded case of a 5 spd. OD being installed on two 2E Transtars which were special ordered by a Nevada Dealer (story was in TW I believe). The 5 spd. direct were only on the 1 ton and over trucks.
              Mark Hayden
              '66 Commander

Comment

Agree with Mark. Although they were available in late Champs, the 5-spd/OD is WAY too heavy-duty (and just plain heavy) for a 1/2 or 3/4-ton truck. And the OD ratio is only around 17%, while the Warner 3-spd/OD is 27%.
                Skip Lackie

Comment

Clark supplied some of the 5-speeds too - mostly on larger trucks. Borg-Warner and New Process supplied 4-speeds for truck as well. Even had a 4-spd available behind the 170 OHV6! I came across one of those in a junkyard years ago. Gotta be a rare combo.
                  No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I owned and drove an 8E12 5spd for several years. That 5-spdOD behind a 289 was one ambitious concern! That truck - with the Dana 60 rear and aggresive mud 'n snow tires was UN-Stoppable! With 4.09 gears at the rear, I could eek out somewhere between 16 and 17MPG on the freeway.
                    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
                      Clark supplied some of the 5-speeds too - mostly on larger trucks. Borg-Warner and New Process supplied 4-speeds for truck as well. Even had a 4-spd available behind the 170 OHV6! I came across one of those in a junkyard years ago. Gotta be a rare combo.
                      Yes indeed, Big Bertha has a Clark 269V 5-speed direct transmission. Eaton now makes that same transmission as parts are readily available.

Craig

Comment

5spd OD new process tranny

I had a one ton with the New Process trans. Straight cut gears made it the noisiest trans ever.
                        ed ellis

sigpic

the "SUPER COUPE"

Comment

Thanks for all the info, gentlemen. I've forwarded the 'New Process' information to the fellow who asked me on the other forum.
                          Bill Pressler
                          Kent, OH
                          All are in Australia now

Comment

Working...
                          X