• Show
Clear All

• Studebaker police car in fire fight

Click image for larger version

Name:	001 copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	1738779
    Probably not many that frequent this forum would be able to name the year and model of this Studebaker? Even tougher to come up with a explanation of this scene?
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Is that not a 26 Delux ?
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Is that from the first Mars vs Curtis takeover attempt?
      Jeff

Even tougher to come up with a explanation of this scene?
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

It looks like a 1926 - 1927 Studebaker Duplex Phaeton --- these officers travel in style!
        Bill Jarvis

Comment

I've seen this happen at Stude concours, when an owner feels that His car didn't 'place' high enough.....they're shooting at the judges!

Comment

Originally posted by Greenstude View Post
            It looks like a 1926 - 1927 Studebaker Duplex Phaeton --- these officers travel in style!
            Remember, the Duplex Phaeton was a VERY common police car when they were new: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...hlight=sheriff

Craig

Comment

Is that what became the red one the late David Neitzel restored, Dick, that is now on e-bay (or was recently)? BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

This picture must be taken from a movie. It would be unusual for the photographer to be over there in a real firefight.
                "In the heart of Arkansas."
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
                  This picture must be taken from a movie. It would be unusual for the photographer to be over there in a real firefight.
                  I agree. Also note the absence of bullet holes in the car. And would those doors really stop a bullet? No officer in his right mind would try to hide behind one. These guys were all up front for the camera.
                  Ed Sallia
                  Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

here is one from my 26 news files, it looks close, the Studebaker number on the picture is 25-2443 if I am reading it correctly as it has faded over the years on this B&W news shot----Click image for larger version

Name:	26.jpg
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	1680073
                    Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                    1961 Hawk 4-speed
                    1967 Avanti
                    1961 Lark 2 door
                    1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Combining all of the responses above there is a correct answer (or close). The car is a 1925-26 Standard Six model ER Duplex Phaeton. Unclemiltie's pic shows the larger Special Six model EQ but same body style. The photo was indeed taken from a movie short. W.C. Fields in The Pharmacist (1932-33), it had only a very brief appearance. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN4kbng5pPU The photo below another example.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	26 duplex gun play copy.jpg
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	1680076
                      Richard Quinn
                      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

And there ya go.
                        Interesting that even back then they founds ways to sneak product endorsements into the movies. There truly is nothing new under the sun.
                        Ed Sallia
                        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

When I was going through my 25, 26, and 27 folders for the above picture I posted, I noticed there was at least one picture which included wrecked cars, I assumed they used or intended to use those pictures to show how safe Studebakers were. My skill level is poor when it comes to identifying pre-war cars so I appreciate posts like this. Thanks Dick for making us think and jog those memories.
                          Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                          1961 Hawk 4-speed
                          1967 Avanti
                          1961 Lark 2 door
                          1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Working...
                          X