hubcap dent/ding repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hubcap dent/ding repair

I have several 53 tri- star hubcaps with very minor dents and dings and looking into whether repairing them to like new condition is possible. Unless their near perfect, I don't plan to use them. Anyhow, would an English wheel be the way to go then with buffing ? Any thoughts or experts out there that do this type of restoration or have ideas ? thanks,

You should contact Matthew Burnette. He owns Starlight Stainless & all he does is stainless repairs. Moldings wheel covers, ect. Give him a call unless he chimes in here. His number is 912-253-3037& has an ad in Turning Wheels monthly.
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

If the dings are in the edge areas where the cover is double thickness, don't expect those to get removed. I've never heard of an English wheel being used and have never tried it. Maybe someone else has seen that method and can educate us.
      Go here for more comment on the subject:

PS It doesn't say so in that particular portion but the sanding is done with 800 grit and then finer to 1200.
      Go easy with the "hammering" as it may take a bit to develop an appropriate touch.

Talk to Matthew B. and thanks to Bob Johnstone for saving this post at his website.
      Last edited by Lark Parker; 05-21-2013, 04:02 AM.
      sigpic
      Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

With a planishing hammer, etc... Yes, these are fixable if you know a decent metal worker (cold metal smith).

Comment

There is also a low melting point allow called Cerro-bend, or something similar. I have used it to make a mold of a good piece, then put the face of the bad piece into it and hammered gently from the rear. The Cerro-bend mold keeps the metal from stretching out too far and making dimples.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I would thing that any tool such as the English wheel or the planishing hammer would be too "heavy handed" for the hubcap. I've used a block of wood and a gently hammer action with minor success. However, this was on the simple, Mopar Cop Car caps. They are basically dog dish with holes drilled in them. I'd say I took them from a #3 condition to a number #6 condition. In the case of the Mopar Cop Car caps a pristine set of four sell in the $200-$300 range. $30 for a dinged up set and few hours of my time that had them looking decent from 10 feet away was worth the investment.

But getting any cap, much less a more complicated cap to the standard you desire would take professionals. And, as some have stated, there may be damage that just can't be removed.
            Tom
            '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Working...
            X