Radio Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radio Help

My radio in the 57 Hawk (AC-2748) was working fine. Yesterday I tried hooking up an AM FM converter. This car has AC, so it's very difficult to get to the radio. Anyway, I reached in and got the antenna unplugged but broke the plug doing it. I put on a new Motorola plug this morning, however I can't seem to find which hole the plug goes into on the back of the radio. Keep in mind I'm pretty much doing this by feel because I can't see the back of the radio! Does anyone have a pic or illustration of the back of this type of radio so I could tell for sure where the hole is for the plug. Also, when I turn on the radio, all I get is a steady hum; no static and the volume control does not alter the hum. I understand that without the antenna plugged in that it is not going to play, but should there be just that steady hum? Sorry about being long winded, but wanted to be specific as I could. Appreciate any help.

There should be an antenna hole in the converter. The antenna plugs in there. The converter plugs into the antenna hole in the radio.
    Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Originally posted by Swifster View Post
      There should be an antenna hole in the converter. The antenna plugs in there. The converter plugs into the antenna hole in the radio.
      I understand the converter, I just can't "feel" the hole on the back of the radio itself to plug the antenna in. If I had a pic or illustration, I'd know where to feel for it.

Comment

My 58 plugs in about three inches from the passenger side end of the radio and goes in at about a 45 degree angle

Comment

Anybody on here have one of the under dash FM converters for sale? The ones I have seen on eBay seem to be a little pricey, the ones that get bid on seem to be reasonable - but the "buy it now" prices are just nuts!
          sigpic
          1961 Flamingo Studebaker Hawk

Comment

Sounds like a perfect way to use a laptop computer and a twenty dollar web cam!
            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Originally posted by R_David View Post
              Anybody on here have one of the under dash FM converters for sale? The ones I have seen on eBay seem to be a little pricey, the ones that get bid on seem to be reasonable - but the "buy it now" prices are just nuts!
              If you decide to buy one, I'm thinking you would be better off with one of the newer design ones. The NOS and used Radio Shack and other brand ones didn't work all that well to start with (they drifted off station, among other things) and might be impossible to repair if the components cannot be found.
              Last edited by RadioRoy; 12-29-2013, 10:18 PM.
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Thanks for the advice! I will stay away from the old cheap ones. I might just add an aux jack to my AM radio and forget about adding FM. But I really like the look of some of the old under dash FM units. Particularly the old tube Motorola FM900 and the old "Automatic" branded ones, even if they are kind of big and bulky.
                sigpic
                1961 Flamingo Studebaker Hawk

Comment

Working...
                X